TechSpot

Light on mouse stays on

By Glenn
Jul 2, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have just built my first computer and it is working ok accept that the light on the optical mouse stays on when I turn the computer off.

I have a Gigabyte mother board and a P4 processor.

I spoke to a guy in the tech area of the shop in Melbourne Australia where I brought the parts and he said he built a computer with a Gigabyte motherboard and he has the same problem.

Does anyone have any idea on what I have done wrong to get this problem?
  2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

The motherboard still gets stand-by power from the PSU, so it could boot on a wake-up call from e.g. the LAN, keyboard or mouse.
    You might be able to switch these things off (see your mobo manual).
    If not, disconnect the mains to the PC when you are done computing.
  3. derrycraig

derrycraig TS Rookie Posts: 58

If its a wireless mouse the lazer will stay on when the computer is switched off. The lazer will turn off if you dont move the mouse for a while to save the battery but if you turn the mouse over to have a look at it, it will switch back on.
  4. RealBlackStuff

It's probably a cheap mouse from the likes of A4Tech. Get a mouse with a charging base, like the Logitech MX700. They switch the laser of when you put it in the cradle.
    Why would you look at the laser in the first place? You know it's there and it won't go away by looking at it (as you state yourself).
  5. derrycraig

Its a cheap Logitech set. Students don’t have the luxury of disposable income. I was just saying to clear up any confusion that to check if the mouse has switched of you usually have to move it unless you leave it upside down till it switches off so it appears to be on the whole time. The weather is a fright at the moment Irish weather is so damn unpredictable
  6. olefarte

olefarte TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,427

I used to have an inexpensive Logitech cordless mouse and it stayed on all the time, but it switched to a lower power mode when not in use. Not good for battery life though, I use it a lot and the two AA batteries would only last about three weeks. As RBS said, if you use one with a charger base, like the MX1000 or MX700, you don't have to worry about it.
  7. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,195

I built a system with a gigabyte p4 board, it has an optical mouse and the mouse stays on all the time. I didn't figure it was an issue, (it's corded, no battery drain), I thought it was just so it could wake from standby, etc.
  8. RealBlackStuff

That may be true for you guys in the North. Blame Tony Blair!
    In Dublin the sun is shining!
  9. derrycraig

I'm not in the north, I'm down in Cork the real capital, although I'm still sure Tony Blair is responsible.
  10. ::.Zoltan.::

::.Zoltan.:: TS Rookie Posts: 30

you've gone from discussing a mouse that won't turn off to Irish weather...
    this forum is seriously messed..... : )
  11. albert3801

albert3801 TS Rookie

Try looking through your BIOS CMOS settings for an option called USB park. If it's there try disabling it.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.