Lights & sounds after shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m working on an eMachine. The pc wouldn’t power on and the power supply was making a strange noise. I’ve seen many eMachines fried because of a bad psu but I tried a different power supply anyway and it worked…sort of. With a new psu it powers on and works fine while it’s on, but when ever I shut it down all the lights, keyboard/HD/Pwr, still blink constantly and I can here the power supply making a clicking sound with its fans still running. I have to use the switch to turn it off and when I turn the switch back on all the lights stay off as they are supposed to.

I’ve checked every single cable to see if anything was loose. The power supply has plenty of power for this little eMachines & I’ve gone through all the bios power settings. I’ve also taken out everything but the bare necessities, just MB & HD, and it still does the same thing.

I saw another thread that sounds exactly like my problem but was never solved. https://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-18658-Ticking-sounds-after-shutdown.html

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Can Linux shut down the machine properly? Try Knoppix.
Update the BIOS or replace the motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back