TechSpot

Limited Account - I'm able to install

By kubus
Jan 2, 2006
  1. I just did a clean reinstall/format of my comp (New Year thing), and I initially set up 2 accounts (both admin properties).
    After installing everything I wanted/needed, I decided to switch the identity I was installing with to Limited.
    With a limited account you're not supposed to be able to install programs.
    I did though, anyone know what's going on here?

2. Spike

Spike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,168

depends on what the program is...

3. kubus

kubus TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hmmm, well this was SpamPal, which was fine, but I figured anything executable, or with cab files being installed it wouldn't.
    Got an example of what it WON'T allow? :grinthumb :grinthumb :grinthumb :grinthumb

4. Spike

Spike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,168

Most things not written by MS that require the installation abilities of windows XP really.

I don't know spampal, (sounds a little suspicious to me anyway - or unessecary), but as an exaple, I belive NERO shouldn't install without administrative rights, I don't believe Outpost, Kerio, or AVG should install either - and to the best of my knowledge, neither should ad-aware or Spybot install without administrative rights.

5. RoadKiller

RoadKiller TS Rookie Posts: 22

Some Apps,Game etc. can be installed even if ur using a limited account like diablo 2 just install it on ( c: ) not in program files.

6. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

depends on how you set up the limited acount.... the administrator determines who can do what with a limited account.

NEVER limit yourself if you're the administrator!

7. RoadKiller

RoadKiller TS Rookie Posts: 22

Yeah, of course.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.