Limited DVD burn speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drenholm

I'm using CD Burner XP Pro 3 and for some reason I can only burn DVDs at 1x with my 16x burner and 16x DVD-Rs.

Would any one be able to explain why this is or how to resolve it?

Also What burning software do you use? I've had bad experiences with Nero so haven't used it in a while.

Hope someone can help, and thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Check the settings in the BIOS for the DVD drive - make sure they are set at Auto.
I use Nero because I have had less grief with it than Roxio and others - but beware as some OEM software will only work with the drive it was shipped with. Nero is 90% backwards compatible so if you can get hold of the latest version of Nero you might have fewer problems. You don't say what you are using now but there may be settings hidden in there to control the burn speeds. Also check the overrun settings.
One other item to check is how the system resources are - take a non technical look at the Windows Task Manager Performance Tab and make sure that at idle the CPU usage is < 5% and the PF usage is less than about 10% on the graph. Also see that you have less than 50 processes running. Any more than this will slow down the burn speed.
Hope this is helpful

- Start>Run type in devmgmt.msc
- Navigate to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers and expand. Double click the one your DVD burner is plugged into (you can check all of them if you wish)
- Go to Advanced Settings Tab and see if any are set to PIO Mode. If it is, then you'll have to uninstall the driver and reboot your PC (twice sometimes). If they are on DMA then that is correct.

Check the cable and power. You may have a dodgy cable..

Try a different brand of media. Not all are created equal..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back