Limited or no Connectivity... nothing works

Status
Not open for further replies.

DenialTwist

I have seen many other samples of this problem that have happened to other people, but none of their solutions work. Heres the problem.
Until recently, my comuter works fine. Then, we installed SP2, and the internet has, quite frankly, gone to hell. I can connect ok, but after 15-30 mins it disconnects with no warning. When I boot up In the bottom right hand corner of the screen a little icon that isnt normally there appears. When I hover over it it sais "Local Area Connection 3 Status : Limited or no Connectivity"
I'm not running on a wireless conneciton as many other people with this problem are, and am NOT running on a network, just this one comp.
What do I have to do?

DenialTwist said:
I have seen many other samples of this problem that have happened to other people, but none of their solutions work. Heres the problem.
Until recently, my comuter works fine. Then, we installed SP2, and the internet has, quite frankly, gone to hell. I can connect ok, but after 15-30 mins it disconnects with no warning. When I boot up In the bottom right hand corner of the screen a little icon that isnt normally there appears. When I hover over it it sais "Local Area Connection 3 Status : Limited or no Connectivity"
I'm not running on a wireless conneciton as many other people with this problem are, and am NOT running on a network, just this one comp.
What do I have to do?

Local area connection 3 ? sounds like you have had multiple attempts at installing network adaptors, maybe your TCP stack is slightly screwed resulting in your network fault.

You could try removing all network related items such as TCP/IP and uninstalling your network card and removing it physically from the system (if its onboard turn it off in the BIOS) boot up the PC and let windows come to a working state, then shut down your system and reinstall your network card , windows will find and reinstall it at bootup , you may have to manually add the TCP/IP component, this will force windows to reinstall the network side of things and may help, finally the icon that says limited or no.... can be made permanant by right clicking the LAN connection in network properties and choosing properties and finding the box marked " show icon when connected"

Just my 5p worth.

DenialTwist said:
I've already tried all of those solutions. Nothing works.

Sorry to hear that,

Maybe you could start with a clean install and no service pack and see what happens, I hate XP and use 2K except on my Laptop as the company make me use it, in fact theres an idea., install another OS like 98 or 2K and see if it happens in that, if not then tell Microsoft about it, they may already know but will they care??

Ididmyc600 said:
Sorry to hear that,

Maybe you could start with a clean install and no service pack and see what happens, I hate XP and use 2K except on my Laptop as the company make me use it, in fact theres an idea., install another OS like 98 or 2K and see if it happens in that, if not then tell Microsoft about it, they may already know but will they care??
ha, probably not :D
I'm fairly sure removing SP2 will solve the problem actually, we've had it installed 2 times now and the only time stuff like this didnt happen was when we didnt have it.

*edit*
no wait, I fixed it! there was an obscure..thing I found that contributed to the TCP/IP side of things. I Unchecked the box, and the icon dissapeared, everythings working fine! :bounce: ...SO happy now.

Does your computer have the proper IP addresses assigned to it?

If you run ipconfig from the command prompt what results do you get?

(To access the command prompt, Start menu -> Run -> type "cmd" press enter)

If you have an IP address thats starts with 169.x.x.x then your address is misconfigured.

DenialTwist said:
ha, probably not :D
no wait, I fixed it! there was an obscure..thing I found that contributed to the TCP/IP side of things. I Unchecked the box, and the icon dissapeared, everythings working fine! :bounce: ...SO happy now.

heh, I took too long to type, congrats.

Limited or no Connectivity

PanicX said to DenialTwist ......
If you have an IP address thats starts with 169.x.x.x then your address is mis-configured.
As Panicx was typing that, DenialTwist got his answer via another route.

I wish Panicx would have kept typing cuz he was answering my problem.<s>
What do I do since I got the 169.x.x.x after the IPconfig ?

Limited or no Connectivity

Thanks Kim .
Seems i entered "stumbling huh? <s>
I am new to this forum .
Do hope I'm not creating a problem for you folks .
Maybe I will just "look around" a bit for a while.
Sure would be nice to get some answers to my present problem I stated in that post.

Kimsland said: I'll also reply at the intro for you too.

Thanx Kimsland. It is 12:05 AM here and I better prepare for bed or I will be up all nite. In the morning I will return.
Not sure I am going about this properly ? <g>

Kimsland .....ru out there .....
I am confused as how this Forum works.
As a senior in age I don't do this to well.
Please advise me.
Thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back