Limited or No Connectivity. Unable to Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

vdvdvCurtis

My network has worked perfectly fine for around a year. Then on Tuesday, out of the blue i went to check my desktop computer (which i use a media/web server) and the little network icon by the clock had the yellow (!) saying limited or no connectivity.

I attempted to repair it but it gets stuck on assigning network IP, and ends up assigning it an adhoc IP. I have tried to manually assign it an IP, no change, i replaced the network cable. I even did a format and reinstalled XP. Same problem. All drivers have been uninstalled and updated drivers downloaded (using my MacBook, phew). Still no go.

Anyone got any ideas. I can only assume it may be a hardware issue if it still is giving me jip. ^^

Curt

you dont say how the IP is assigned, where is the DHCP server ?

if its directly from a cable modem, then thats the fault, if its from a router then thats the fault. if its from a domain server then the fault is there.

what NIC is it, is it onboard or a PCI card,

Regards

It is set to be assigned automatically in XP. DHCP server is the Modem+Router. it is onboard, 'VIA Compatable Fast Ethernet Adapter".

My network is setup like so:

Cable Modem + Router w/ Wireless << WAN
\/
16port Switch
\/
3 Machines (Only one is having a problem connecting)

I tried ipconfig /renew and recieved the error message "An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : Unable to contact you DHCP server. Request has timed out"

I have seen nics that apparently configure fine yet dont work, as its an onboard nic try disabling it and adding a PCI card NIC if this works theres the issue, if not then im stumped for now...

Regards

I'm borrowing a PCI adapter from my friend, i just need to pick it up. I will let you know what happens. Ive tried all the other methods listed on the forum but with no success.

Me 2 ... I am having the same problem so I'll sit in and watch and listen.....

I tried ipconfig /renew and recieved the error message "An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : Unable to contact you DHCP server. Request has timed out"

Power cycle your equipment. To do this you need to shut down your computer, unplug the power cord from your modem and router if you have one for 30 seconds. After 30 seconds plug back in the power on your modem then if you have a router that next. Wait for all the lights to become normal and boot up your computer and let me know what happens.

YES! power off everything and wait at least one minute.
Then power on in this sequence; Modem, Router, System
waiting again one minute between each.

I just did another check.
I am off in another direction.
As the result of doing a disk defrag. i am observing most of my C:/ is red (fragmented) ... along with other problems I believe my answer is Fdisk & format. This time I wil do an Acronis True Image as soon as I am up and running that system.
Thanx again guys.

most of the time limited or no connecticity can be fixed with a good old powercycle as said above

is it a motorola surfboard ?

in your ipconfig

was the lan adapter your using have an ip address that starts with 169 ?

I know this post is dead now but I want to add something that I'm almost most certain will help anyone with this problem. Click on Start > Run > Type in CMD > Type netsh winsock reset and after that it'll say you need to restart do it and it should be working again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back