Limited or no Connectivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacx

Reviewing older postings I found the following.....

"If you have an IP address thats starts with 169.x.x.x then your address is mis-configured."

I was hoping to follow this reply as it is my problem . RE:ipconfig brings 169.x.x.x .

Seems the person that this message was sent to found their answer was something else so no further direction was applied.

Is there anyone that can direct me through this?

I posted the following request but dont know if I am doing this properly. I am a 71 year old man with little knowledge in computers. Please help if you can ......
Reviewing older postings I found the following.....
"If you have an IP address thats starts with 169.x.x.x then your address is mis-configured."
I was hoping to follow this reply as it is my problem . RE:ipconfig brings 169.x.x.x .
Seems the person that this message was sent to found their answer was something else so no further direction was applied.
Is there anyone that can direct me through this?

What is your connection? What hardware do you have installed. Perhaps we can help you reconfigure it. Was your router supplied by the company that provides your internet? They will usually help you over the phone, or send someone by.
We can help if we know more. Did you get an install disc with your connection?
Good luck. We will need more information to help you here.

Thanx Raybay.
My son is helping me through this at this time.
For some reason I am having difficulty figuring out Techspot ..... so I will just "watch & listen" here for a while.
Thanx again.

the 169.x.x.x is a default address. this occurs because the computer can not find
a DHCP service on the lan. (dhcp is on port 67,68)

you fail to relate if this is a wired connection from the modem/router to your system
or a wireless connection.

The modem/router needs to have DHCP enabled.
Your wired connection needs the NIC adapter to use DHCP for both IP and DNS.

Give this to your son and he should have a good start at making it work for you.

Limited or no connectivity

You guys are super folks!
I am not computer savy and don't want to be taking up your time with dumb questions.
The info jobeard gave me I passed on to my son.
If I have any success I will let u know.
Also if I require more guidance I'll get back to you.
Thanx again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back