Limiting bandwidth on a 56k shared connection!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chocobogo_rct

i know dont laugh!! But the only access to the net I have is a 56k v90 connection and this is shared between, sometimes 8 people.!
The main reason we use it is to log on to Yahoo and MSN Messenger, IRC and browse the net.
What I want to know is if there is any way to limit the bandwidth that programs like kazaa use!
At the moment I am running a Proxy server and a firewall so I can block the ports that Kazaa uses but this seems a bit harsh.
If there was a way to limit bandwith that would be great!

Cheers

Kazaa has an option to limit bandwidth to a certain amount. So this should suffice for your needs, although there is no way of stopping it being changed.

My God, you are running Kazaa with dial-up! You must be patient!

To be honest, with so little bandwidth, I think I WOULD BLOCK the Kazaa ports...

Actually I have this ptoblem too, but with 512k/s cable :D I like to play a bit of counterstrike, but becomes unplayable when my housemates are hogging the bandwidth with kazaa. Where is the option to limit bandwidth? I can find the button for limiting the no. of downloads, and limiting upload bandwidth, but wheres the downloading bandwith option?

Originally posted by mrslippyfist
I can find the button for limiting the no. of downloads, and limiting upload bandwidth, but wheres the downloading bandwith option?

I thought it was on the same page. What Version are you using Kazaa/Kazaa Lite/Diet Kazaa ?

Originally posted by Phantasm66
My God, you are running Kazaa with dial-up! You must be patient!

That was me when i have only a 56k dialup to use..it took me an average of 12mins to download one song while leaving the pc idle.

I can find the button for limiting the no. of downloads, and limiting upload bandwidth, but wheres the downloading bandwith option?

Me too. I'm running Kazaa Lite, perhaps its the donwload and upload bandwith can adjusted thought thisoption.

yeah im using kazza lite too, maybe you're right y&w, the upload and download speed could be controlled by the same thing.

the upload and download speed could be controlled by the same thing.
It's just fair - if you're not sharing at full speed, you won't be downloading at full speed either.

I'd like to be able to limit bandwidth on certain ports on my router. I have 384k/384k dsl and a netgear rt314 router and the connection is shared with three computers. Any1 know if I can limit all the ports (other than mine of course) to be capped at like 10 to 15 Kb\s so I still have enough bandwidth left to play games online without my ping fluctauting?

BANDWIDTH LIMITING PROGRAM!!!

Hello everyone,.......I'm new to this forum.....found it searching for a program to limit bandwidth to certain programs.......then i found this nice lil' program......it's called NetLimiter..........works with all programs. took forever to find but i thought it was a good find......so i figured i should share it....... :)

http://www.netlimiter.com/

Hope it helps in the Quest! :bounce:

Oh ya, it's shareware........29.95 to buy, but i think for some of us......that would be better than losing your ISP!!!!

also, I'm NOT advertising for them......just thought it would help!

Well thanks for the input, I'm sure it will help someone :grinthumb

:wave: Welcome to TechSpot :wave:
Hope to see you stick around and help others with problems or simply gain more knowledge for yourself.

All those companies that boast 5x faster dialup are using v.92 right? I have yet to try it but since my DSL isp offers it and my new laptop has a v.92 modem I think im gonna give it a try.

5x Faster dialup? IMHO I doubt v.92 would even get you up to more than 56kbps, thus be able to compete with DSL connections. Forgive me if i m wrong

those ads are misleading, you still have the same connection speed as with other dialup services. The way you get the improved "browsing speed" is by using something similar to apps like Web Rocket and Net accelerator, which doesn't actually boost speed, but downloads entire pages and just updates the content when you visit.

BTW, The FCC currently limits data transfer over regular phone lines to 53.3kbps, unless they made a change since I swapped to cable, which has been about four months.

I just tried to dialup to my isp and I couldn't get any faster than 31.2kbps. When I use to have dialup i would normally connect around 50kbps but I guess my phone line has got weaker. When the tech setup my dsl he said the phone box on my house was the oldest one he has ever seen:(
I thought v.92 was supposed to allow higher data compression, thus faster download speeds, but I guess not. I just thought i would test it since dsl costs me $50 extra a month and dialup comes free with my phone service.

*Edit I just went to v92.com and found out v92 was only meant to allow faster dialup time, ability to put the connection on hold to answer phone calls, and a slightly faster upload speed(max 48kbps)

Hello, I am a first time poster! I am babysitting a house out in the boonies and they have no highspeed wireless connections in the "Hood" so to speak. I cannot "Wardrive" out here, so I am stuck with a 31.2 Kbps speed:(. I wish I knew of a trick to push and pull this info faster through this ancient line. Anybody please advise!!!

do not hijack threads. Start a new one in the correct forum after checking the guides forum first.

cdubl said:
Hello, I am a first time poster! I am babysitting a house out in the boonies and they have no highspeed wireless connections in the "Hood" so to speak. I cannot "Wardrive" out here, so I am stuck with a 31.2 Kbps speed:(. I wish I knew of a trick to push and pull this info faster through this ancient line. Anybody please advise!!!
You can't.
Thread closed, its 4 years old. Make a new one if you still think I'm wrong and you can get stuff faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back