LinkedIn profiles hint at 300 watt AMD Radeon R9 380X

Scorpus

Staff member

It's been a while since the launch of AMD's high-end R9 200 graphics cards, which means a new flagship might be just around the corner. While we've heard a few tidbits about said flagship before, such as a rumored liquid-air hybrid cooling solution for it, the latest bits of info come directly from AMD themselves. Well, sort of.

References to an upcoming AMD Radeon R9 380X have been discovered on some of the LinkedIn profiles of AMD team members. Ilana Shternshain, ASIC physical design engineer at AMD in San Francisco, has worked on taping out products including the R9 290X and R9 380X, the latter of which she describes as the "largest in “King of the hill” line of products".

Another employee, system architect manager Linglan Zhang, claims to have worked on a new (but unspecified) GPU. Although the information has now been removed from his LinkedIn profile, it previously listed experience developing "the world’s first 300W 2.5D discrete GPU SoC using stacked die High Bandwidth Memory and silicon interposer."

A number of those terms are technical buzzwords, but there are a few interesting things to note. First, it has previously been rumored that the R9 300 series of products will include a new type of high-bandwidth memory for significantly improved memory performance. Whether Zhang's statement was in direct reference to the R9 380X or not is unclear, though it seems likely.

It's also curious that the GPU is listed as being 300 watts. The Radeon R9 290X had a TDP of 290W, so a jump to 300W wouldn't be massive. However, companies like Nvidia are gunning for lower power GPUs, with the GeForce GTX 980 flagship packing an impressive TDP of just 165W. You'd hope that AMD would be attempting to compete with Nvidia not just on performance, but also on power efficiency.

The information from LinkedIn is definitely not official confirmation about these products, though we can expect to learn more closer to the undisclosed launch data sometime early this year.

Permalink to story.

I wish they would just hurry up and give us some official info already. I'm itching to upgrade my gfx card but will wait till they new Radeon cards come out before I give all my money to Nvidia.

I need some proper benchmarks!

Uhm... I now lost hope on AMD striving for power efficiency. Either they can't or they don't care because they follow a "brute force philosophy".

I don't particularly mind AMD. I just go for the best performing single GPU graphics card each generation. I've had both AMD and Nvidia cards. That said, I'm not buying another AMD card until they can match Nvidia's power efficiency. The reference 290X was running at what... 95 degrees celsius? It's ridiculous. I get concerned about component lifetime when it comes to temperatures that high.

"GeForce GTX 980 flagship packing an impressive TDP of just 165W"

That TDP number for the 980 is not 100% accurate.

I don't particularly mind AMD. I just go for the best performing single GPU graphics card each generation. I've had both AMD and Nvidia cards. That said, I'm not buying another AMD card until they can match Nvidia's power efficiency. The reference 290X was running at what... 95 degrees celsius? It's ridiculous. I get concerned about component lifetime when it comes to temperatures that high.
everybody knew about the high temps of the reference boards. the OEM boards run much better. as for the lifespan of the components, it should not affect it that much. only the GPU die was heating up that much, the rest of the components are running at acceptable temps.

everybody knew about the high temps of the reference boards. the OEM boards run much better. as for the lifespan of the components, it should not affect it that much. only the GPU die was heating up that much, the rest of the components are running at acceptable temps.

That's true, but you know what I'm saying. I just feel better about having a graphics card that doesn't eat watts like a vacuum cleaner and heat up my space in the hot damn summer. :)

My second computer is running an AMD card still. That's my Eyefinity rig. AMD has done a lot of good, and they were way ahead of Nvidia on the triplescreen stuff for a while. I'm not sure what they're doing right now, but I'm excited to see what they're gonna bring to the table next.

I consider AMD the underdog, and I kinda like the underdog. If AMD goes away, Nvidia will monopolize the market... and that's gonna be bad for all of us. That said, I'm really hoping AMD brings it with this next generation.

Back