LinkedIn profiles hint at 300 watt AMD Radeon R9 380X

By Scorpus
Jan 14, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. It's been a while since the launch of AMD's high-end R9 200 series graphics cards, which means that a new flagship must be just around the corner. While we've heard a few tidbits about said flagship before, such as a rumored...

Read more
  2. Qrox

Qrox TS Enthusiast Posts: 41   +9

I wish they would just hurry up and give us some official info already. I'm itching to upgrade my gfx card but will wait till they new Radeon cards come out before I give all my money to Nvidia.

I need some proper benchmarks!
  3. EEatGDL

EEatGDL TS Maniac Posts: 475   +153

Uhm... I now lost hope on AMD striving for power efficiency. Either they can't or they don't care because they follow a "brute force philosophy".
  4. WangDangDoodle

WangDangDoodle TS Addict Posts: 199   +70

I don't particularly mind AMD. I just go for the best performing single GPU graphics card each generation. I've had both AMD and Nvidia cards. That said, I'm not buying another AMD card until they can match Nvidia's power efficiency. The reference 290X was running at what... 95 degrees celsius? It's ridiculous. I get concerned about component lifetime when it comes to temperatures that high.
    Seraphim401 likes this.
  5. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TS Evangelist Posts: 1,084   +331

"GeForce GTX 980 flagship packing an impressive TDP of just 165W"

That TDP number for the 980 is not 100% accurate.
  6. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,819   +485

everybody knew about the high temps of the reference boards. the OEM boards run much better. as for the lifespan of the components, it should not affect it that much. only the GPU die was heating up that much, the rest of the components are running at acceptable temps.
  7. WangDangDoodle

WangDangDoodle TS Addict Posts: 199   +70

That's true, but you know what I'm saying. I just feel better about having a graphics card that doesn't eat watts like a vacuum cleaner and heat up my space in the hot damn summer. :)

My second computer is running an AMD card still. That's my Eyefinity rig. AMD has done a lot of good, and they were way ahead of Nvidia on the triplescreen stuff for a while. I'm not sure what they're doing right now, but I'm excited to see what they're gonna bring to the table next.

I consider AMD the underdog, and I kinda like the underdog. If AMD goes away, Nvidia will monopolize the market... and that's gonna be bad for all of us. That said, I'm really hoping AMD brings it with this next generation.
  8. rohenhunter

rohenhunter TS Rookie