Linking computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamie.benstead

I have made my brother a pc and want to link them i have plugged network cards into both pcs and linked them with the correct wire. The problem is the second computer cant use the internet, its internet is ment to come through the first one. How do I sort it out?

Also I used the network setup wizard but still dont work...

how is the first pc connected to the net?
if usb
if 2 nic cards
first pc must be setup as dhcp address 192.168.1.1
sec pc address nic as 192.168.1.2 or last number I keep above 100
first pc mask 255.255.0.0
sec 255.255.255.0
must config wan dns for first pc from provider
you will have a wan ip address plus the dns numbers
I will look for more stuff I have lots of luck searching msdn info M$ makes buggy OS's but there help stuff works most of the time

the EASIEST method is to get a cheap router (assuming) you have
DSL or Cable access. For Dial-up you need ICS(Internet Connection Sharing).

with a router, the wiring looks like
...modem-->router ---->pc#1
..........................+--->pc#2

both PCs are configured to use DHCP (which means all those numbers get
set automatically from the router)

So, how do you access your ISP?

Guys I really need help. I have installed both cards, on the main pc with the internet I set up a network bridge which includes the connection with the network cards, but on the secondary pc I cant set on up but there is still a connection made with the network card on there.

Run the internet connection sharing wizard on the main computer.

Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Communications -> Network Setup Wizard

When you get to the screen where it asks how you connect, select the first option. This computer connects to the internet and other computers connect through it. Select the adapter that is connected to the internet as the one that is connected to the internet. Select the other one when it asks.

On the second computer, do the same thing except select the second option, this computer connects through a lan or other computer.

My wording is off, but you should get the idea.

BTW, what kind of cable are you using. To connect two computers directly together you need a special type of cable called a cross-over cable. A normal cable will not work. A quick way to tell if its a cross-over is to put both ends side by side. If the colours are in the same order you do NOT have a crossover cable.

tdeg said:
BTW, what kind of cable are you using. To connect two computers directly together you need a special type of cable called a cross-over cable. A normal cable will not work. A quick way to tell if its a cross-over is to put both ends side by side. If the colours are in the same order you do NOT have a crossover cable.

Many newer NICs will accept straight and/or cross over cables.
That said, it's still a better idea to use the correct cable.
Frequently, a cross over cable is RED in color :)

Naw... I've never seen a red cross-over cable.

Most of the ones I've seen are yellow, grey, white, black, purple, blue, etc.

Never seen a red one. ;)

And I've yet to see an autodetecting NIC. That would be sweet.

Most switches and hubs now have autodetecting ports though. That is sweet.

tdeg said:
Naw... I've never seen a red cross-over cable.

Most of the ones I've seen are yellow, grey, white, black, purple, blue, etc.

Never seen a red one. ;)

And I've yet to see an autodetecting NIC. That would be sweet.

Most switches and hubs now have autodetecting ports though. That is sweet.

your experience is not all inclusive and neither is mine :)
Can we agree that it's best to use 'the correct cable'?

networking to comps using ICS

jamie.benstead,

I just did this last night and everything worked fine.

Step 1. Have a cross over cable !
Step 2 . The internet connected computer (master)must have 2 LAN cards and the 2nd (slave) has 1 LAN card.
Step 3. Open the Master computer "my Network connections". Double click on the LAN card icon which IS connected to the internet. Uncheck all boxes EXCEPT TCP/IP, leave that checked.!!
Step 4. Right click the other LAN card icon. Rename this to something like HomeNet (ie. for easy reference later) This should be the card which is connected to the 2nd (slave computer). Now double click and leave all boxes checked. Click on the TCP/IP and click properties.
Step 5. Type IP address 192.168.0.1, and in subnet 255.255.255.0 Close this window.
Step 6. On the Master computer, right click on the My Computer icon and click properties. Now click the Computer Name tab. Name your computer. Now ALSO name the workgroup, example "OURHOME". Click Apply and close window.
Step 7. Go to 2nd computer. Computer name tab. Name it something. Workgroup = "OURHOME" Apply and close. Goto MY Network Connections and open the TCP/IP properties. Check the "Obtain an IP address automatically".

Hue almost done!!!!! Now to set ICS on.

Step8. On master computer open the internet connected LAN icon (prob just rename it to "internet"). Click the ‘Sharing’ tab at the top of the window. Next click on the only checkbox available, ‘Enable Internet Connection Sharing…’. Click OK, and then ‘YES’ on the dialog box that appears explaining your new IP schema (don’t worry about this message). That’s it!

If you want to share folders and Printer with your brothers computer. In the "HomeNet" LAN icon, ensure the Files and Printer sharing is enabled (check). If not there click install. :bounce:

tdeg said:
Run the internet connection sharing wizard on the main computer.

Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Communications -> Network Setup Wizard

When you get to the screen where it asks how you connect, select the first option. This computer connects to the internet and other computers connect through it. Select the adapter that is connected to the internet as the one that is connected to the internet. Select the other one when it asks.

On the second computer, do the same thing except select the second option, this computer connects through a lan or other computer.

My wording is off, but you should get the idea.

This is excatly what I have done. Must be the wire. It connects with ethernet type wire which I got at the same time I brought the cards. I asked the guys for wire to link them up and thats what I was given.

if you have cable internet why not spend the 30-50 bucks on a cable/dsl router.

You will find it will run alot faster, and the current config means both computers have to be on for the second computer to have internet access. if you purchase a cable/dsl router either computer can be connected to the net at any given time with the other turned off.

Also you have room for adding a 3rd/4th computer onto your network.

Overall its alot simpler and you will see performance gains by going to a router vs ICS.

are you supposed to use network bridging at this point
new to xp I did not have this option in W2K
I thought bridging was like teaming.
and yes I can bet sharing is slower than a router
and routers are a lot easyer plus dont you need to have both pc's running,maybe not? anybody know.

So if I get a router how does it work. Do I plug the broadband moden into the router and a wire comes from the router to the pcs?
Or how does it work?

yep.

Piece of cake.

Then read the manual that came with the router... it will do wonders.

I should never post after 12 hours on pc
with router you don't need to have all pc's on to get to internet,just for file share
with network sharing main pc acts like server ,router ,and or gateway I do believe this must stay on or other pc's can't get to internet.can do wake on lan stuff,but if main pc is close and not doing server work ,why??
I go with cisco or linksys I had a cheaper SMC and a D-link
ok but up'd for linksys VPN router
check out there website,
tons of good stuff on netwrking with neat diagrams all over internet

OK I got a converter from the shop to convert CAT5 into Crossover. But still get the same problem, network has no or limited connectivity. Also when trying to create a network on main pc it says a error has occured after the bit where you select the options and it trys connect.

connecting PC's using ICS in XP

Jamie,

I do have mine working as per the instructions I layed out a few posts back.

Some simple checks:
Brothers LAN card is enabled (active)? Maybe reinstall it by removing it and delecting it from Control Panel/System/Hardware drivers. Then reinstall and let Windows find it etc.

Can your computer accesss web ok?

Also set on brothers computer TCP/IP properties to "Auto detect IP adress",make sure both comps are in same workgroup.

Getting the error, "limited connectivity" is a good sign, at least your cross-over cable is correct this time. so you're close just keep trying. Start over again if you have too. Always start with your computer first and run the Wizrd if you like that way.

BTY all above posts are correct about the router thing. It's easier in the end and your comp doesn't need to stay to have the other on internet.

I did mine this way for now until I go buy a router.

Here is the place I used for install guide: http://www.homenethelp.com/ics/ics-install-sxp.asp :knock:

lets start with does first pc have internet accress,if yes
step 2
go to this website and follow instuctions,as I said theres tons of stuff out there
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/ics_xp#2
to set this up make sure you have the following
1 modem and or
3 nic's or 1 dialup modem and 2 nics
2 pc's with OS that supports ICS
1 straight cat5e, 1 crossover cat5e cable.

Crossover cable connections

Hi there:
Do anyone knows how to use crossover cable make PC(WIN2K) to connect laptob (XP). I set up both new static IP and subnet and both can ping each other, However, I can not make them to see each others shared folders for data transfer.
Anyone have any thoughts. Or WIN2K can not connect with XP?
:D

I'm assumming you enabled File and Printer sharing on both PCs in the properies of each LAN card that connects the 2 ? (must be done on both).

WinXP Firewall will block the 2 PCs from sharing files. Go to advanced properties tab in the Firewall utility and uncheck the internal LAN card (the NIC that connects the 2 pcs via the crossover cable). This must be done on both machines. Also they must be in the same workgroup. Right click on the My Computer icon, properties/change button. Name them the same. "MyhomeNet" or something. (i.e. do the same on both PCs)

That should do it.

Crossover cable

Thank you very much, I just disable both firewalls, and they can talk each other and with fantastic speed.
:bounce:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back