Linking wireless router to wired router help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been trying to figure out how to run a wireless router connected to a wired router for the past few days with no success thus far. I have searched the forums and nothing has helped thus far. Here is a diagram of what I'm trying to achieve:

img124.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img124&image=network2ql.jpg

EDIT: Since im not allowed to post links you must drag the link into the address bar and press enter to view the picture. It's hosted through imageshack.

Helpful info on a two router setup.

If you're using the Linksys BFSR41 you'll only be able to connect the WRT54GS to the LAN port on this router. Your computers and XBOX will them connect to the wireless router. See the Linksys diagram at their web site for an illustration ( http://www.linksys.com/support/display.asp ). For help connecting the two routers you may want to read through another post which dealt with a problem similar to yours ( https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?postid=117746#post117746 ).

Well the reason why I wanted the XBox and computers running through the first router is because when i just route through the wireless router, I notice the slow down in speed and this is crucial when playing games. But if it's not possible then I guess I'll have to learn to deal.

What you want is easily possible MrDJ - and in fact, is very similar to my setup. I have 2 BEFSR41 to a WAP. I have the machines I need the fastest connection on wire only and only my laptops on the WAP. Just disable DHCP on all except the first router from the cable modem so they behave as switches instead. Make sure your DHCP range on your first router is handing out enough IPs for all your machines. I've taken it all down and put everything back up within minutes, although it wasn't very neat.

In addition to LNCPapa's suggestion, many routers offer some advanced features to specifically support gaming. I have never experimented with these capabilities but they may be worth a look.

One feature is called DMZ which allows one computer on the network, that cannot run Internet applications properly from behind the router, unrestricted access to the Internet. This feature might work for your XBOX. There are some security concerns with using this feature since the designated computer is exposed to the Internet.

Another feature, available on my D-Link router, is called Special Applications, and is intended to specifically support Internet gaming, video conferencing and other apps that don't run well behind the router. Linksys has something similar called port range forwarding and port triggering. These might be a good fit to your problem.

All of the above features are definitely ADVANCED so do some research and see if they can work for you.

YES you can hook a Linksys wired and wireless router together

MrDJ009 said:
If you're using the Linksys BFSR41 you'll only be able to connect the WRT54GS to the LAN port on this router.

ABOVE NOT TRUE!

I have a BEFSR41 "wired"
and a WRK54G "wireless" router

I have 2 wired Desktops, VOIP adaptor, a TIVO & XBOX thats 5 wired devices Plus my note book but thats what I need the wireless for.

I was having to un hook my TIVO if I wanted to use the Xbox on line, so I thought why can't I use my older BEFSR41 for more ports?

I went to linksys and I did what the knology Base said to hook them together but it did not work?

They stated to hook 1 pc up to the wired router and the cable modem, and then go into the set up turn off DHCP change the last number of the LAN IP Address to 2 in place of 1 and save your settings then hook your PC and Cable modem back up to your wireless router.
Have 1 of the 4 ports free on your wireless router "Note that the wireless router should be Router #1" hook a network cable in to one of the ports on the wireless router and then into the uplink on the wired router..

Well that did not work, so I called Linksys they informed me that the problem was That I used the uplink ...I was NOT to use the uplink but 1 of the 4 numberd ports on the back of my BEFSR41.

That worked !

the wired router has my cable modem in the wan port.
port 1 has PC 1
port 2 has PC 2
port 3 has my VOIP adaptor
Port 4 has a network cable in it that hooks to port 1 of the BESFR41
port 2 of the BEFSR41 has my XBOX
Port 3 has my TIVO
Port 4 is free for when I work on some ones PC I kan hook it right up.

All is working well...

I hope this helps some of you, and I must say I was shocked that there i s still a company that has free tech support and people that know what they are doing.

a Big Thumbs up for Linksys!

Migraine said:
If you're using the Linksys BFSR41 you'll only be able to connect the WRT54GS to the LAN port on this router.

ABOVE NOT TRUE!
I was NOT to use the uplink but 1 of the 4 numberd ports on the back of my BEFSR41

Guess what, the 1-4 numbered ports are the LAN ports..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back