Links and URL's do not work

By RickM
Sep 8, 2006
  1. Hello,
    Thank you for taking the time to read this message.
    I am using Windows XP and I am having a problem creating a desktop shortcut.
    I do the usual (right click on the desktop, scroll to "New" scroll "Shortcut".
    I enter the URL and then I name it. The Icon appears on the desktop. When I click on it, I received the following information box:
    This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control pane.
    I did not have this problem until I removed FIREFOX.
    My email also has a problem. When I click on a link contained in the email the link does not work, nothing at all happens .
    Could one of you "Pro's" help me out with this ?
    Any information will be appreciated.
  2. A_DOG73

A_DOG73 TS Rookie Posts: 170

Hi. Well why did you remove Firefox?

Does the internet work at all?

When you create the shortcut, does the icon have a picture of Firefox?

If so, it could be looking for Firefox but it's not there because you removed it.

Are you using Internet Explorer now?

You could try a System Restore and restore a date when it was working

You could reinstall Firefox to see if it works.

Have you scanned for viruses lately?

Give me some more details please.
  3. RickM

RickM TS Member Topic Starter Posts: 27

Hi A Dog73,
    Thank you for your reply to my post, I appreciate it.
    I removed FIREFOX because I was experiencing some problems with it.
    Interenet Explorer did not give me the problems, so I decided to remove FIREFOX and resort back to IE.

After I posted I did some more investigating in an attempt to fix the problem.
    I went to "Tools" - "Internet Options" - "Programs" - I clicked on the box "Reset Web Settings" and unchecked the checkbox "Reset Webpage to default"
    Now it is fine. When create short-cut's and click on the Icon, click on the Links, URL's in my email etc. everything is working as it should. I must have overlooked something when I removed FIREFOX.
    Thanks again for you reply.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.