Linksys 10/100 LNE100TX LAN Connects-Disconnects constantly

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuzZah

As the topic title says, my Linksys 10/100 LNE100TX LAN (On this machine) Constantly connects and disconnects about every 5-10 seconds. My other machines on my network are fine.

I've tried moving the card into different PCI slots;
Changing the RJ45;
Installing drivers on the CD provided;
Installing drivers from the internet;
Uninstalling the card completely and installing as above;

Any ideas?
Any other specs you may require, just ask and i'll post them.

Windows XP (No service Packs as i just formatted. It had the same problems with SP1 and SP2 installed too)

Many thanks.

Ben

Where are you connecting to? A router? A switch? A bridge? A hub? Another computer?
What does your network look like in general?

where is this computer situated in regards to whatever your connecting to? There might just be soemthing disrupting the signal, or you may be picking up someone elses signal also and that could disrupt things.

Nodsu said:
Where are you connecting to? A router? A switch? A bridge? A hub? Another computer?
What does your network look like in general?

My Network is as follows:

Internet
^
|________ GATEWAY PC ______ LINKSYS (EFAH05W) HUB
...........................................................^
...........................................................|
....................CLIENT PC (1) ____________|__________ CLIENT PC (2)

Ignore the dots. vB formatting wouldn't allow large spacing.

All Wired.
On a workgroup based network.

alise said:
where is this computer situated in regards to whatever your connecting to? There might just be soemthing disrupting the signal, or you may be picking up someone elses signal also and that could disrupt things.

With regards to your post, alise, the client machine with the problems has been situated in 2 different buildings, and a total of 3 rooms all of which are well as far as i can tell, away from any major causes of inteferance.

Okays. Since you are using a hub you absolutely need to get the duplex setting right. Even if only one of the devices attached to the hub thinks that it is running in full duplex it will kill the network.

First thing to try would be to set the pesky computer's network card to 100 Mbit half duplex manually. Then check all the other nodes and see what link type they are operating on.

Nodsu said:
Okays. Since you are using a hub you absolutely need to get the duplex setting right. Even if only one of the devices attached to the hub thinks that it is running in full duplex it will kill the network.

First thing to try would be to set the pesky computer's network card to 100 Mbit half duplex manually. Then check all the other nodes and see what link type they are operating on.

Urm any chance you could enlighten me as to how I might go about doing that? Sorry, not very good with the intricacies of networks.

Ben

You see the duplex/speed setting your NIC is set to in Device Mangager. Open the NIC properties and under advanced there should be some setting(s) pertaining to link speed and duplex.

In theory all machines should be set to "auto" and everything should work. If the all-automatic setup doesn't work, set your problematic machine to 100Mbit and half duplex and see what happens.

Are you saying that every Win2k/XP machine in the world normally disconnects from the LAN every 30 seconds unless you go and modify the system registry? :p

As I understand the article, these disconnects apply to mapped network drives etc. So you don't have a constant active TCP connection when you have connected to a network drive. Nothing to do with ethernet connectivity.

lan

If the connection is completly idle yes,, ( 9 of 10 pc users will have something in either programs or background services running that stops the connection from being totaly 100% idle. Nortons 2000 and up has a "keep my connection alive". That helps,, but downside it allso adds another process to reg. AOhell has this function to, on its ntfs side. But Aohell disk are actually beter to use as drink coasters< But thats a differ poste.

If there is no traffic then what is there to disconnect? The ethernet link?

Wouldn't that mean that if I happen to have no background software constantly hogging my network then my Windows machine will drop the ethernet link, effectively separating my computer from the LAN? Meaning that if my computer happens to be a server then noone will be able to reach it?

server

If u are useing w2k/xp home/pro as a server,, yea you mite loose the connection if all stays idle, server 2003 wont do that,, server versions of windows are differ than client versions in the manner of handling idle bandwidth.

some routers have a auto ping function,, that fixes issue to<

But i would just turn it off at the sorce

We are going offtopic here are are definently not helping anyone. Feel free to contact me over PM or IM to let me prove you wrong :p

can you remove the nic and switch them around?
see if it is machine or card
I have had duplex troubles only with not getting a connection, then prompting the connection it connects ,no time outs. duplex signal loss symtoms :prompt for lan connection proplems only,never internet or Wan
slow also.
as nodsu suggests
open the hardware properties inspector for device
at top of window config advanced window speed setting
all should be the fastest of the slowest of all you nics
so if you have 4 nics 1000/100/100/10
all should be 10 and so 1000/100/100/100 all should be 100
check the duplex setting some can do 100 full some can't should all be as close as possable
windows 2000 and xp have no default for this kind of time out . maybe time to live TTL is messed up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back