TechSpot

Linksys BFSR41 router + how do I prevent software from access to net?

By erwin1978
Mar 16, 2002
  1. Is it possible to set my router or win2000 to prevent a specific, persistent software from accessing the net?

2. boeingfixer

boeingfixer TS Rookie Posts: 1,245

What software ? Can't you just unload or turn off the software ? Zone Alarm lets you restrict what software access the net.

3. PHATMAN5050

PHATMAN5050 TS Rookie Posts: 645

nope, what your asking the router to do is impossible. Routers cannot access files whatsoever, as this, would be a security breach. I dont understand the reasoning behind people who want to restrict a program from accessing the net. How many access the net automatically? Internet Explorer is the only one that comes to mind. Others have a 'connect' button or something similar. But anyways, there are software firewalls that allow you to do this, and they are great fun to install. ha! :grinthumb

4. Mac_Bug

Mac_Bug TS Rookie Posts: 62

Spyware for example, or autoupdate programs may not necessarily ask for permission before accessing the net - though it's debateable whether you really uh... need to go through the trouble to shut them off.

It's theoretically possible to configure your 'router' to block off certain applications, but in reality you are just blocking certain ports. Certain internet applications have specific port usage which you can block, but others simply chose anything that is available above 1024 - very self evident if you were to block 1024 and it jumps to 1025 :)

Certain games also uses certain ranges, and you can configure things to do 'deny all' by default. To get pass proxy etc sometimes a company will post what ports their program uses so users can make exception.

Other than that with more advanced routers you could for example, restrict port 20 so that people can connect to a FTP server through 21 on your computer but unable to download anything, since FTP data port will be blocked.

Other than that I think Phatman5050 has already answered your question - software firewall is the way to go, namely Zone Alarm.

5. erwin1978

erwin1978 TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 327

I share my broadband with someone and I don't want him to use Kazaa when I'm online since it slows down my telnet. Despite my warnings he disregards it. Now, I decided to just limit his bandwidth instead of blocking the port used by Kazaa. This way everyone gets connected and I'm happy.

6. PHATMAN5050

PHATMAN5050 TS Rookie Posts: 645

haha, your ruthless :haha: hopefully he doesn't figure out what your doing lol

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.