TechSpot

Linksys brings back the iconic WRT router with a revamp

1. The iconic blue and black WRT line of routers from Linksys, which was largely discontinued in 2004, is making a comeback in the form of the WRT 1900AC, the company announced at CES 2014 in Las Vegas. The new dual-band...

Read more
  2. GhostRyder

GhostRyder TS Evangelist Posts: 2,210   +521

That is a sweet looking router, I love my current linksys router though so no upgrade for me yet.
  3. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TS Enthusiast Posts: 566   +81

That's a pricey router.

It has to top the ASUS AC1750 RT-AC66U router which I think is the number 1 consumer model at the moment and over $100 cheaper.
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  4. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,285   +232

At that price point, it's only going to appeal to people with specific router needs (that they can get with the open WRT firmware libraries), or with hackers. The price seems rather excessive, when compared to other routers in the same class. Nostalgia for consumers only goes so far when it comes to cost.
  5. Camikazi

Camikazi TS Enthusiast Posts: 343   +56

If it's anywhere as good and reliable as the original WRT it will sell well and I am sure the price will fall into the same range as others soon enough.
  6. mctommy

mctommy TS Enthusiast Posts: 112   +13

Too pricey for what it offers... especially like someone else said, you can buy the rock solid asus for $200 MSRP.
  7. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,947   +900

Open source firmware is the best. Great move Linksys.
  8. Ridiculously expensive considering the low cost of the internal components. Reminiscent of Apple phones :)

Darren
  9. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,534   +301

It is too expensive. And 5 lbs! holy cow, what is in that thing?

I had an old one (the 54g) that did die on me. Bought a replacement on ebay and put ddwrt on it, but it was one of the 'newer' ones so I couldn't run the full version. Someone at work was getting rid of a v2.2 so I picked it up. Haven't used it yet but I think I'm going to use it as a hub for my AppleTV, Mac Mini, and Bluray player. Needs more ports! I have a few more things I could wire in (Wii, HD DVD).

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.