Linksys Router Connection Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have Shaw as an ISP (DSL) with a Motorola Modem and a Linksys WRT54G (v.5) router.

Now all computers are connected wirelessly, including printers and other devices. We have a standard WEP key just as a deterrent and the SSID is gray-network as to not conflict with neighbour's ssids.

The firmware is v.1.01.0 which, to the best of my knowledge, is the latest. The wireless channel is 10, which is apparently the least used channel therefore less likely to be disturbed.

I have spoken to a Linksys Technician and he was unable to resolve my problem.

The problem is as follows:

All computers will sporatically get disconnected from the router for a miniscule amount of time that no one can detect other than lag. But I, being a bit of a poweruser, listen or watch streamed media or play online games. These constant irrating "hiccups" in the internet connection can disconnect me entirely from what I am doing. Very frustrating.

Now after the episode has passed, I will get a famous pop-up bubble in my taskbar showing my connection details, as if I just connected to my network.

Can anyone help?

Forgotten00 said:
a Linksys WRT54G (v.5) router.
Forgotten00 said:
being a bit of a poweruser, listen or watch streamed media or play online games.
I hate to say this, but take it back. v5 and v6 are possibly the worst wireless routers Linksys have made in years. After working with a few of them (v5), the results have never been good. It seems v6 has the same problems with being unreliable, slow, and unable to handle a typical power user's everyday activities...

Better solution

Return your linksys - Buy a Belkin Pre-N wireless router - very good installation manual - no problem with SF/HW issues - the best for home / home office use...

bhavilu2 said:
Return your linksys - Buy a Belkin Pre-N wireless router - very good installation manual - no problem with SF/HW issues - the best for home / home office use...

Belkin Pre-N? The range is great, the features and performance are OK, but it certainly isn't without its problems.

I've recommended the Zyxel X-550 and have installed a several of these for customers. I'd have to say its been the most problem-free router I can recall in recent times. The price is about $80, which isn't unreasonable for a WiFi router with MIMO.

If you're brand loyal to Linksys :blackeye: and need to stay within a good price point, the WRT54GL is a much more solid router.

Forgotten00 said:
Thank you all for your support. I will attempt to purchase the Zyxel X-550. Is it available in Canada?
I'm unsure.

The Zyxel X-550 is a solid router, but others do exist... you'll just need to do some research. Buying locally is useful too, since you can buy a router and typically take it back and exchange it for another in case you are unhappy with it.

As part of a last-ditch effort, I have completed the hack where you install DD-WRT firmware onto the router.

This has fixed all problems and has provided so much detail into the fine tuning of the router. It has increased the speeds as well.

Thank you all for your support. It was not taken without gratitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back