linksys router failing,opinions on replacement

By Samstoned
May 26, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seems my linksys single port router is dropping connections and failing to update server?
    comcast has checked line and new motorola 5100 and says problem it's not there.
    I reset or power down the router and my connection comes back
    so just for the #$$%% of it going to replace
    anyone with cable setup and or comcast network needa decent router for under 100.00.
    Thank You for your Opinions in advance
  2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff Newcomer, in training Posts: 8,165

Tigerdirect:
    SMC SMC7004VBR 10/100Mbps 4-Port Broadband Router (Recertified)
    The SMCCable/DSL Broadband Router SMC7004VBR is the ideal networking solution for business users that are looking for a complete networking solution.
    $10.97
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?Sort=0&Nav=|c:198|c:584|&Recs=20#

I have an SMC7008ABR 8-port from them, also recertified=refurbished (no longer stocked, were $34.99)
    Works like a charm.
  3. dgower2

dgower2 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 340

Linksys Routers Suck - Try D-Link

I switched to D-Link and I've had no trouble.

I had a BEFSR41 Linksys router and it blocked any/all P2P traffic. BOOO!
  4. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,646

I have been running the BEFSR 41 for 4+ years there was a firmware update to fix the PNP Couple of years back mine is still working fine and VPN's are no problem.
    Sam... do you have the Keep Alive set in the Setup pge for the router.
    I use 120 sec.?
  5. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 2,582

Well I'm back
    will be get the SMC as RealBlackstuff suggests
    as for keep alive I cannot use that setting I have to set the router to dynamic or I loose connect for sure every time the ISP server resets.
    Had other issues with the main whitebox as I added VM 5 to test other OS's and
    the server had a melt dwn,
    PS
    My new backups on DVD using nero did not work
    for some reason nero did not burn to dvd right and did not complain about it.
    using ISO buster I got my stuff back
  6. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

If money is not a problem, then I would really suggest not buying the SMC listed. I'm not saying it is a bad router, but it is recertified and you've already have enough problems.

It's better to get a new router with a long warranty, than a recertified one for sure. Even if it is $10-$20 more, it might save you some headaches later on.

You can say recertified items are just as good as new ones and I won't argue with you, but I've had plenty of experience with recertified items from being a bargain shopper and well, many of those items have left me high and dry with various probelms that I new unit would not have.
  7. tdeg

tdeg Newcomer, in training Posts: 348

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.