Linksys RT31P2 - phone & 360 connects but no internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

detrunks

Hello all,

I'm having intermittent problems with my router.
My set up is: 360 connected to router; vonage phone connected to router, access point connected to router through which I access internet via PC. The router is connected to cable modem.

For some reason, sometimes I will be able to connect to internet but not to Xbox Live, and sometimes I'll get Live but lose my internet. I've been running the same system for about a year with no problems up until the last 2 weeks. Whenever one of them goes down, I CANNOT access the router's set up page. (So, for example, I can access the internet, but not the router page)

When everything works, I can access the router set up page.

Can anyone give me some advice please?

Thnkas in advance

Hi

I've very recently been having similar problems where by my internet for some reason wont pick up - after a while itll bother to look for an IP address and sometimes fail. I've got a BThome Hub to where everything (including the wireless 360) connects to. I've not checked the XBox since this problem though - ill see if that is affected by my hardware change.

I've only got these problems since i added my old DVD-Rom drive. Have you added any new hardware or made any configuration changes recently prior to your problem - it may be a conflict somewhere...

ive still got this no connect problem after doing a system restore - so like you, my has for no reason decided to break itself! :(

detrunks said:
Whenever one of them goes down, I CANNOT access the router's set up page. (So, for example, I can access the internet, but not the router page)

When everything works, I can access the router set up page.
If you can't access the router, your system is loosing its IP settings OR
the router is changing its address.
(So, for example, I can access the internet, but not the router page)
this is inconsistent with the routing that is necessary to make
both of them work.
The data flows from your system, thru the router to the internet. If you can
browse the internet, the access to the router must be available.

when it is working, use ipconfig /all to find the default gateway address.
write it down.

when it fails, using ping $gateway to see if you're still connected.

I would update the router firmware, access point and your your WiFi adaptor
in the PC.

In UK some of the ISPs will mess with the max transmissable unbits (MTUs) - check this in the router set up and if it is set to default or 1400, change it to 1360 and see if this works.

MTU default is usually 1500, but I set mine to 1496 to avoid specific fragmentation issues.
Most link-level implementations will adjust the packet size to that of the smallest
mtu in the chain anyway.

In addition, a frequent firewall rule is to toss all fragmented packets to disable
security issues during packet reassembly. I know mine is set that way.

The TalkTalk default is I think 1500, British Telecom who control most of the exchanges as 1476. The last one I fixed I as able to access remotely so set it at 1360 and the fix was instant. I left it at that on the basis that I was not going to go on fixing it!

thx for the help guys - the fault was something to do with the router's settings which I had to solve via a hard reset. I didn't actually get to the bottom of it, but the hard reset did work.

As I said - I didn't get to the bottom of it. I simply did a hard reset of the router and the access point as well as re-installing the wireless card. It's still a mystery to me why I could access the router set-up page sometimes and not other times. Even more of a mystery as to why I could still access the internet during the off periods. I can only guess that the router's address kept changing, for some reason.

detrunks said:
I can only guess that the router's address kept changing, for some reason.
This could be the result of the Release/Renew cycle from the ISP --
which is why you want all your devices to use DHCP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back