linksys wireless wrt54g connection problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a wireless G router for my home pc (with Windows XP) but I can't seem to get it to connect. My computer says it is connected to the internet when everything is plugged in, but I can't load any pages at all. When I go through the wizard I follow all the instructions and on the page where you have to change your password and then connect it never works. It sits for a minute with the loading bar progressing, and once it gets to 100% it says it cannot connect and asks if I want to try again after turning my modem off and then on again.

I bought this for the specific purpose of getting online with my Wii, and now I'm ballsed. I've tried a few things that I read on another message board but they didn't work.. Any help is appreciated, thanks

Have you gone through the Linksys setup for the wireless router? Things like setting the SSID and setting a key? The router and the wireless NIC in your system have to have the same key and SSID... You can try resetting the router too. Pulling the power plug to the router is one way to reset the router

Take it back to the store and get something else?

NetGear
DLINK
Buffalo (this one has a lot of features and some come with built-in amp)
SMC

Of course XP will say you are connected, it sees the connection from the computer to the router as good.

My guess is that there is a problem with the router modem setup. How were you connected before? Were you using a router before? How was it set up?

Your best bet is to call your ISP, lots of people have routers, and lots of people have problems getting them set up.

There could be an issue with your modem 'dialing in' when you need to set your router to handle that now, or some conflict related to that.

I also have been trying to connect my Nintendo Wii to a Linksys WRTP54G. My son did some reseach and found the following information from the Nintendo website, however we are still unable to get our Wii to work with the Linksys WRTP54G. I will post the solution if I figure it out.

Known Incompatible Wireless Routers
In working with dozens of wireless routers, both here at Nintendo and with our consumers , we have determined the following wireless routers to likely be incompatible with the some or all of the Wii's online features, or with connecting

Please note that information on this page can change, as firmware updates by the router's manufacturer could become available that may allow a workable online connection for the Wii console.

Belkin
F5D6231-4 vers. 1000
F5D7230-4 vers. 4000
F5D7231-4 vers. 1102

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/online.jsp

Linksys WRTP54G Working with Wii

I tried a netgear router and had no luck connecting the Wii wirelessly even though I am only 20 feet from the router's. I moved the Nintendo Wii to the top of my stereo rack and the wireless worked fine. I think the problem may have been interference from my receiver that it was standing next to. So at the very least I can confirm that the Wii will connect to the Linksys WRTP54G using WEP and DHCP.:approve:

Add version 5 and 6 to the list for Belkin Wireless Routers. Only the Belkin WAP that use to cost $80 and up has work without any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back