Linux as a domain

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used Windows 2000 SBS and i dont really like it. i would like to setup up a linux os as a server or domain as some may call it but i dont want it to do stuff for other windows servers i guess what im trying to say is i want to use something else instead of active directory. Is there a linux disto that i can download to setup as a fileserver ,domain server but are in GUI form. I would also like to know what is the best distro for desktops.

Thanks for the help
Winlin!

There's a program called Samba that runs on most unix operating systems and can act as a WIndows NT domain controller. Not sure about any (free) pre-packaged Linux DC versions or other point-and-click solutions..

We have had many threads about what is the "best" linux distro.

If you are thinking about completely ditching Windows both server and client side, then you are probably better off buying some commercial Linux solution from Novell or RedHat. And what would be the point in running a Windows domain using Linux servers and Linux clients? :p

If you are talking about ditching Active Directory and LDAP, the only real world equivalent is Novell.

Samba + LDAP auth should do just fine as a replacement DC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back