Linux, Compaq Proliant connectivity problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two identically configured compaq proliant 3000 P3 servers running mandrake 9.2 (kernel 2.4), both servers are updated at the same time so for all intents and purposes these machines are identical. HOWEVER...

One server, every other day or so, loses internet connectivity, that is to say the ethernet card seems to shut right off. Once off the card will not turn back on except when I completely cycle the power to the server, software attempts to get the card going are useless.

I took the ethernet cards out of both servers and swapped them and I still get the same problem on the same machine, it only started happening in the last month or so.

I have done a search on the web for info but I get so any responses to my search that are not applicable it is hard to sift through them all to find an answer.

Any thoughts?

Thank You!

What brand NICs are they? Is the link speed autonegotiated? Do you use a spanning tree algorithm on the switch? What happens if you swap the cables going into the servers (if physically possible?) Have you tried updating the system BIOS? Do you have the latest kernel for those Mandrakes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back