Linux distro..

By navveed
Feb 20, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. which one, in your opinion, is the best? I`d like to go back to using Linux, but I`m not sure which distro to go with. :/ I mostly used Mandrake, but there`s probably something better that I haven`t tried.. or at least haven`t tried lately. :D I`m just getting sick of XP it gets fussy sometimes.. :(

navveed
  2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,479   +292

3. navveed

navveed Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 34

thanks.. I didn`t even notice those. :)

I just looked through them.. red hat doesn`t really work on my computer. and lindows is crap.. I tried both of em.. never paid though.. I didn`t say that. :D

XP has been decent for me.. I`m on pro. I`ve never had it crash or anything.. which is shocking.

navveed
  4. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 Newcomer, in training Posts: 6,504

Redhat was my fav.

I didn't like version 8.0 much, though. So probably my favourate linux is redhat 7.3.

You can upgrade it to use ximian gnome ( www.ximian.com ) and also download and install the latest kernel from www.kernel.org and apply other patches and updates which make it better than version 8.0 in my opinion.

I was also very impressed by Mandrake 9.0

I tried Slackware again recently. And also Debian. If you really wanna get into the guts of linux then these are a good idea, however if you want to get things up and running and take the headache out of getting going with linux, I would stick to friendlier distros like redhat or mandrake.

I expect Redhat 8.1 (which is in beta right now, I think) to be better than 8.0. Generally, the .0 releases of redhat have been crappy.
  5. navveed

navveed Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 34

I tried redhat that wouldn`t install.. same with debian but that froze on the install. mandrake works nice on my computer though. :D

all the ones that are suppose to be the best don`t work on my computer.. suse didn`t work either.. and I think there was one other one too. only lycoris will work on my other computer.. my computers are just too picky. :p
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.