Linux from scratch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude, not to sound offensive, but that has been out for a llooong time.. yet I haven't tried that coz I'm too spoonfed by distros like Mandrake :D Hope you have fun with it :D

Always wanted to try that ... I just wanna get another harddrive so I can install it on that ...

Let us know how it goes :)

I never said it's new. I just haven't seen anyone writing about it.
True. I guess it's been kinda forgotten since the market is flooded with full fledge distros. Kinda a sad thing sometimes. Remember patching and upgrading my previous Slackware installation last time. Real painful :(

Out of curiosity, is there a noticeable speed different between using standard RPMs and compiling from source specifically for your processor?

I attempted to use Sorcerer before it went under, but always had problems with the boot manager, so never got it to work right. But Im curious if theres a noticeable speed difference? And if so, is it worth the "time" it takes to compile everything from source?

Out of curiosity, is there a noticeable speed different between using standard RPMs and compiling from source specifically for your processor?

It actually depends on which type of RPM you get. Most of the RPMs you see have the i386 affixed to their file name. This means that it's compiled for the general x86 processors. If it's 586 or 686 then it's optimized for the Pentium or the P3 processors (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

As for your question, compiling from source optimises the binary to your system. So I suppose it does give you some speed gain. Not sure how much speed you'll gain from that.

Well printed out the 200+ manual while at work today ... figure I'll try it out this wknd as well. Give me something to do that's not against the law ;p

I use RPM packages only if I'm sure I'll need the package only in Red Hat Linux. Compiling applications from source & customizing them for your own PC makes them faster and more stable, if you know what you're doing.

Well of course ... but I'm still curious how MUCH of a speed gain you get.

Say ... rpm of KDE to compiling it on your own.

Ok, it's installed now but DAMN THIS BRAINDEAD FOUR PRIMARY PARTITION LIMITATION!!!!!!!!! :dead: I've got to use grub instead of LILO. Now where did I see those Gnome sources again?
I'll be posting from Mictlantecuhtlinux soon! :haha:

From http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/intro.shtml

...A few of us have been working on creating a very small embedded LFS system. We installed a system that was just enough to run the Apache web server; total disk space usage was aproximately 8 MB. With further stripping, that can be brought down to 5 MB or less...

Hmmm... Interesting indeed. A real challenge would be to get it down to 1.44mb. Linux on a floppy. Imagine the possibilities :)

When i learn how to use linux, im gonna try this.

Well, it works now. I decided to use KDE3 instead of Gnome 1.4 or 2 because I had some problems compiling gnome-libs. Now I just need to fix this Ogg Vorbis module thing, kde-multimedia doesn't find it for some reason. Very interesting project, I recommend this if you really want to learn how Linux works and if you have the time.

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli
Ok, it's installed now but DAMN THIS BRAINDEAD FOUR PRIMARY PARTITION LIMITATION!!!!!!!!! :dead:

Its an annoying constraint to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back