TechSpot

Linux Installation on dual bootable

By Dottom
Jul 15, 2004
  1. Hi Friends, am new to Linux but have install it on a clean system before.
    My problem is this I want to install Linux on one partition of a systems that has Win xp on another partition, but the partition had been formated using fat 32, What can I do to install Linux on this fat 32 partition ?:confused:

2. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

Convert that FAT32 partition to a Linux one, like ext3 or ReiserFS. Most new Linux distributions have installers that can do it automatically.

3. Dottom

Dottom TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thnaks MIctlantecuhtli,

How could I do that

4. Dottom

what is ext3 or ReiserFS, are there Linux file system like Fat, Fat32 & NTFS

5. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

6. Dottom

1. What is Red hat Linux mount point means
    2. what is MDS password mean
    3. what is shadow password mean
    4. how do i collapse a RH Linux partition to reuse it for Win XP.

5. I have this problem when it is time for my system to copy file into installation directory of Linux....... this message comes up "An error occured transfering the install image to your hard disk drive, you are probably out of disk space" what does that suppose to mean I have almost 10 GB space for this installation

7. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/mounting.html
    MD5 encrypted password
    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Shadow-Password-HOWTO.html
    Use XP's Disk Administrator to format the partition to FAT32 or NTFS.
    It means RH created a 8 MB partition to the beginning of the drive and tried to install the OS there. I think it's a bug in Disk Druid or the installer. I've solved it by creating Linux partitions manually with fdisk before installing the operating system (can be done with RH by booting to rescue mode).

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.