Linux just killed my windows XP installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omicron91

Oh boy, I'm having big troubles now. I just set up a SuSE 10.1 and Win XP dual boot on my HD, but I think something went wrong when I went to partition my HD with partitionMagic. Linux boots fine, a little slow, but I can't really tell why, but thats not the issue. Whenever I try windows I get a message:

xmnt2002 program not found
autocheck program not found

Then after that I get a weird error message on a blue screen. I can't read what it says because it dissapears within a few seconds, faster than I can even read it. Then the computer reboots :(. This is really toublesome because I have two major assignments due tomorrow and I can't access files on my Windows partition.

So, there are two desirable outcomes to this situation.

1. Someone tells me a way to get access to the files on my XP partition so that I can copy to my external HD and then I just ghost the windows partition.

2. Someone tells me how to fix the problem and I get my windows back, which would be nicer.

1: You can access your Windows partition(s) from SuSE just fine. Should be mounted under /. You were told this during the installation, but maybe you weren't looking.

2: What steps exactly did you take when installing Linux and using Partition Manager? How is/was your hard drive partitioned?
If you just google for these error messages, then you see some registry editing solutions, but first it would be nice to find out what you did wrong and whether you can potentially destroy data.

Nodsu said:
1: You can access your Windows partition(s) from SuSE just fine. Should be mounted under /. You were told this during the installation, but maybe you weren't looking.

2: What steps exactly did you take when installing Linux and using Partition Manager? How is/was your hard drive partitioned?
If you just google for these error messages, then you see some registry editing solutions, but first it would be nice to find out what you did wrong and whether you can potentially destroy data.

I know that the windows partition is mounted to /windows/C, but I can't edit or move this data onto my external hard disk so i can format or fix it.

The error message I received was:

Stop c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The session manager initialization system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000017 (0x00000000, 0x0000000) The system has been shut down.

It took me several reboots to scribble that down, and I found the registry fixes for it, but, I'm stuck in Linux and I can't edit the registry to fix it :(.

When I installed SuSE, which I've done several times, probably 5 or so (removed it because I needed the space), I used the partitionMagic I selected "install new OS" and then Linux. I resized my 80 gig XP partition down to 53 gigs and then formatted the remaining space to ext2 and then pressed apply. After the reboot I installed SuSE 10.1 from DVD with mostly the default options except I used KDE instead of gnome. Then, when i went to go back to windows, bang! Thats the long and the short of it.

Did you install Linux in the c: and windows as d: or what ever partition you made it?

Not a smart move to do before an assignment:eek:

Omicron91 said:
I resized my 80 gig XP partition down to 53 gigs and then formatted the remaining space to ext2 and then pressed apply. After the reboot I installed SuSE 10.1 from DVD with mostly the default options except I used KDE instead of gnome. Then, when i went to go back to windows, bang! Thats the long and the short of it.
Ouch.. When you use Partition Magic from within Windows, then you have to reboot into Windows to let any Partition Magic operations to finish. This is because it is not possible to modify the Windows partition while Windows itself is running. So PM reboots and does its stuff before Windows loads.

I think it is very likely that your Windows partition's filesystem is screwed - You put stuff on the Linux partition before PM had the chance to move Windows data away from under it.

Now, what do you mean you cannot copy any data off the /windows/C mounted in Linux? Do you get any errors?

There are tools for Linux that can edit the Windows registry too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back