Linux & modem problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

recoombe

modem problem

no its not that, my modem actually works in linux. my problem is it only connects while i'm in linuxconf (i'm using mandrake). if i use kppp or one of the smaller programs, it says it connects but when i try and use it, it dosen't recognize the connection. do i need to change some files or something? i really don't want to log in and out of root just to get my modem to connect properly. thanks.

Could you be a bit more specific about the error (doesn't recognize the connection)? What have you changed in Linuxconf (if any)? Check /var/log/ files for ppp error messages and report if there are any strange things.
Sorry that I can't be more specific now, I just haven't used Mandrake Linux. It probably has graphical control panel to set up Internet connections?

well, when mandrake installed it of course recognized my modem and set it up for me (basically). when i log on as a plain user i can't use kppp to connect. it dials up ok (i guess) and it says that it connects, but when i test it by checking email, etc, the browser or whatever says no connection detected. i have to su into root and use linuxconf (graphical prog to configure just about everything in mandrake) or the control center to connect it. i don't want to do this. i don't know why as a plain user it won't work but as root i have to go through all these hoops to get it to work. i don't know if its a permission thing or what. i'll haev to check the /var/log files when i boot back into linux...

i don't know if i can explain it any better. i'll have to do some digging...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back