Linux on desktops a threat to MS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantasm66

OK, I know I've focussed a bit on this issue recently, what with my post here, but it just seems to get more and more interesting. For a long time there, it was like Microsoft was fearless, unstoppable, impenetrable....

But it just seems like more and more press is being released suggesting that Microsoft seems to really fear Linux in some capacity. Take this article for example, where Microsoft Chief Financial Officer John Connors said on Wednesday that a future threat from Linux on the desktop was something that would really hurt the company, and poses a significant threat.

"In terms of growing the company...It would be difficult if Linux were to become a phenomenon on the desktop," Connors said.

My own opinion, which I raved about here, is that there is a future possibility of Linux posing a significant threat to MS, at least on the server side. On the desktop, however, I still think that Linux has a LONG way to go. A LONG way. It could be done, but its gonna take a lot of work. There have been some good desktop offerings, especially from Ximian, in the form of their Ximian Gnome Desktop, and Redhat's latest offering, RedHat 8.0 has a desktop so disgustingly pretty and easy to use that its almost not like Linux any more, but I think that this sort of thing still has a long way to go....

What do you think? Post a comment here.

More here at NEWS.COM.COM.

Looking for a prince :)

Greetings from Russia!

I’m Rose (it’s my name).
My greatest dream is to meet a guy of my dreams, whom I’ll give up all my life and love! Promise, he’ll never feel bored. He’ll see what the REAL LOVE means.

It’s the first time I’m using a marriage agency’s services.
My profile is located in the VIP part of the www.mylady.info catalog and I wait for your mail (my ID number is 1321). May be it’s the mail I’m waiting for so long!

Yours sincerely,

Rose.

Re: Looking for a prince :)

Originally posted by Unregistered
Greetings from Russia!

I’m Rose (it’s my name).
My greatest dream is to meet a guy of my dreams, whom I’ll give up all my life and love! Promise, he’ll never feel bored. He’ll see what the REAL LOVE means.

It’s the first time I’m using a marriage agency’s services.
My profile is located in the VIP part of the www.mylady.info catalog and I wait for your mail (my ID number is 1321). May be it’s the mail I’m waiting for so long!

Yours sincerely,

Rose.

Do you like Linux? If so, maybe we can make a date... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back