Linux or Windows usb modem on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mokaboy

hi

simple question

i have 2 computers 1 windows (fast gaming) and 1 linux (testing linux and gettin used to it)

i want internet on both, i have a usb broadband modem and no router, i have a ethernet network with these 2 just need to kno shall i run the modem on the linux or windows computer? or no difference?

both will be on most of time :)

ICS will be a bit trickier to set up on the Linux box (no pretty wizards) and you have to pray that your modem is actually supported by Linux.

Easy way: run ICS from the Windows machine.

Connect the two PCs using a crossed network cable between the two network cards.

Then connect modem to usb on PC.

Go into properties for the usb modem's network connection in windows, and enable connection sharing.

Your network card on the PC will be asssigned 192.168.0.1 address, and your linux machine will (so long as it is set to automatically get an address) be assigned an address from the 192.168.0.x range on the 255.255.255.0 subnet. You will then be able to use the internet on the linux machine as if it was the one connected to the modem - well, after a fashion. from the outside, only your windows machine will be visible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back