Linux question

By Renosh
Dec 10, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. What is the purpose of /etc/rc.d/init.d directory? What’s contained in this directory?
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

Doing your schoolwork and you never bothered to listen in class? :p

The init.d directory contains the startup scripts on an operating system that has adopted the SysV style of arranging startup items.
  3. Renosh

Renosh Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 33

hhahaa, ya something like that... its actually take home final exam.. i tried to read the book.. went through the entire book and it didnt explain it really well... thanks anyways...

i tried to install linux and was following the book.. i put it on a new partition and on the 3rd disc my screen just went blank.. i think it might have to do with the /swap file.. i dont think i did it correctly... any comments on this issue?
  4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,025   +221

On Linux, there's a separate swap partition which is typically 2x your installed ram. you didn't state the vendor name, so what's happening on 'the 3rd disk'
    would be just guessing.

run the hardware compatibility suite to ensure it should work.
    verify sufficient partition space to load and configure the system type
    (eg: workstations vs. server)
  5. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

Many installers come with an option to test your installation media. Could be your third CD is bad.
  6. Renosh

Renosh Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 33

is there any virtual linux sites where you can just go and practise the commands?
  7. balzi

balzi Newcomer, in training Posts: 29

You could ask someone at your uni. for an account.. maybe they'd even give you root access :evil:

oops, uni. is for us Aussies. I think its called a college elsewhere.. or maybe you study Linux stuff at high-school where-ever you are.
  8. jmc012

jmc012 Newcomer, in training

Just download the windows version of DamnSmallLinux.
  9. balzi

balzi Newcomer, in training Posts: 29

Sorry, I should have been more serious.

what you really need to try is cygwin!
    you basically get a terminal screen that behaves much like a standard linux console screen.

you can have things like perl installed without much effort because cygwin manages it all for you.. and then it's just a windows app that you start like anything else.

goto Cygwin.com
    you will love it, and it'll do exactly what you want.. you may even like it so much that you never bother installing a REAL linux distro.

Balzi
  10. doomsweek

doomsweek Newcomer, in training Posts: 44

You could try one of thoses Linux Live CDs. You can boot from a Live CD which contains a linux distribution.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.