Linux supported components

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, there,
I am thinking use my celeron 1.7 socket 478 on a linux system. Anyone knows which micro atx mobo with good linux support? I know Asus does offer some support on Linux driver ... just wondering are their any other choices. Besides that, this is my trial on Linux, are there any other related hardware issue I might need to be aware of like memory, hard drive, graphic card, CD-ROM, sound card or even network card?
The other components I might put in are as follow:
Maxtor 40GB ata133
Lite-On 16X DVD
SB!Live
PNY DDR333 512MB

If I want to have two OSs: XP and linux, which I should install first? Is it a good idea to patition the HD half and half for each of them?

Thank you for your time and attention. I really appreciate it.

thanks, it is quite a comprehensive link, I think i need quite some time to read it b4 I go any further.

I might install MandrakeLinux9.1 unless someone think I should use the redhat 9 or others instead.

I might start the whole thing during the Christmas break, so welcome any suggestions on the components picking. The Asus P4S533-MX(SIS 651 chipset) or a 845GV chipset matx mobo is on the list without any competition now.
if the on board NIC won't work, I have a spare D-link NIC something that might work(I need to check the model # next weekend -- the DFE530TX+ has the linux driver on their website)

I can say from my personal experiance that the 845 will work without a problem with MDK/RH 9. If you will be using the Intel graphics "accelerator", then there won't be any problems with that either. All your other devices are supported also.

linux is a LOT more compatible than it was even 2 years ago, by far. Its getting more and more like something that can give XP a run for its money, especially since its coming with office package, etc, included.

Thanks, everyone.
As Nodsu talks about video card, I don't think I will do any gaming on this machine. As long as it plays DVD fine, I am satified. On the other hand, I might still throw in a dual head card later if I decide to get a projector and hook them up on my mobile station. I spot a BFG (either 4X AGP or PCI) GF4 MX 440SE w/ dual vga or any of the grandpa-old matrox dual head. Hopefully one of them will work.
----I just check nvda's website, is the linux IA32 is the right driver for 32 bit system like this one? Matrox doesn't seem to have that kind of support on their website.
P.S. also the 4X AGP just reminds me the sweet 8500LE, though I enjoy my 8X Ti4200 as well. ---- betwen ATI and Nvidia, I stick my neck out for nobody, hehe.

The linux support for Nvidia cards is great! I can play Quake III, etc, no problem. Some might say "BIG DEAL! QUAKEIII ! SO WHAT!" But actually it was a pretty big achievement.

Just ask by any chance, I just saw that nvidia also provides linux drivers for their nforce product on their website. Anyone here running linux on any nforce2 mobo? Thanks.

The Hunting is over

supprisingly find that my compaq Evo N400C laptop is on the list of supported by other users on Mandrake website, this just gonna to be so cool.

By the way, I am not sure if compaq continue produce new and advanced notebooks as fantastic as Evo N400C. Though some trouble happens along my experience with it but it is still a very well configued combination.

Another thing that is really odd that linked to this, I can never bring this N400C puppy into my bedroom in home(I live in dorm). If I do, the OS will just die but all the time I use it in campus or elsewhere, it is just flawless. Any people ever had this kind of "location exception" situation? (P.S. There is no High voltage or any other things that over or arround my bedroom and my old Athlon 700 works fine in that room)

I think that if you use an up to date Linux like Red Hat 9 or the latest Mandrake, which I think is 9.2, then you will be fine. It should detect most if not all of your hardware, things should work just fine.

You are doing well checking hardware compatibility lists, well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back