Linux thatWill work on P-II 236~ Mhz with 64 mb ram and 1 gig hard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tribal-Phoenix

Does Anybody know where i can get a linux distribution preferably with grafical interface and a server that will run on my second pc with these specs, P-II 236~ mhz 64 mb ram and 1 gig hard, i already tried DSL ( Damn Small Linux) no use.

In theory you can put any Linux distro on that thing. Many installation programs insist on a lot more of RAM though :) And you have to watch what components you install.

Why do you think DSL failing was because of your computer and not you? :p

heh coz it takes bout 20 seconds for a program to open, then it freezes. i havetemprariy upgraded it to 256 and 10 gig hard, anybody knows if fedora is going to work on there or any other good "Whilst"

I had a laptop with very similar hardware, the biggest limitation there is the RAM. Like someon else said, alot of the graphical installations for Fedora etc will need more. I think Fedora needed more regardless.

Try Slackware, I seem to remember that working just fine.

Agree.
Slackware with either Fluxbox or Blackbox as window manager. Get it running then buy yourself some RAM for the love of your free time. If you are smart enough to get everything working then you will allways look down on 'user-friendly' distros like Fedora, even when resources are not an issue.

Friendly like a straight-jacket...

Well thanks for recomending slckware to me, all i have is 256 ram , if i would be able to buy more id, but there is only one store near me that sellr cd ram and their prices are sick, (harddrives - 1 gig 4200 - used - 10$ CAN when you can buy 80 7200 rpm for 60$ is a good store with a warranty, ill probably just get a new computer rather then upgrading this piece of crap) just sick. anyways ill try to ger some time to install slackware. thanks

thanks guys, well i laready tried vector linux dunt remember what happened but i believe it didnt work . well thanks anyways, im gunan try sing slackware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back