Liquid cooling with ice and liquid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Computer~freak~

hello i am going to purchase a watercooling system and i was wondering if i could put ice cubes in my resivor to make the liquid ice cold and since the ice would float it wouldnt there wouldnt be a problem with the ice cloging the out take tube at the bottom. i was just wondering if this has ever been done before also would this cause condensation since the ice would make the liquid well below room temp?

well, in theory it should work but you'd have to keep adding ice cubes in order to maintain cooling. since you are constantly adding ice you also have to continually drain your coolant level. you'd also have the problem of having to keep adding antifreeze or whatever additive you're using to fight molding and whatnot. simply put it would become a troublesome, very expensive, and high maintenance operation. you'd be doing as much work as cooling with dry ice without the benefits. great idea though.

a suggestion along the same lines would be to route your radiator inside a small refrigerator or freezer. a bit expensive also but at least its self-supporting.

you would have to use distilled water ice cubes. I guess you could do it though. If you're interested in getting something that cold, by a thermoelectric phase cooler, its better than watercooling IMO

Computer~freak~ said:
i was wondering if i could put ice cubes in my resivor to make the liquid ice cold and since the ice would float it wouldnt there wouldnt be a problem with the ice cloging the out take tube at the bottom. i was just wondering if this has ever been done before also would this cause condensation since the ice would make the liquid well below room temp?
I'm not sure why you would want to do that... but i suppose if you were attempting a [temporary] high overclock then it may work. however as ICUB4UCME explained, it is definitely not a long term solution. and IMHO, the inconveniences would far out-way the benefits.

unless you're attempting record-breaking overclocks, then standard watercooling will be more than you'll ever need.

supersmashbrada said:
If you're interested in getting something that cold, by a thermoelectric phase cooler, its better than watercooling IMO
AFAIK, there is no such thing as a "thermoelectric phase cooler", it sounds like you are confusing thermoelectric (TEC) cooling with phase change cooling, they are two very different animals. both methods can achieve sub-ambient temperatures, but the way they achieve it is very different.

EDIT: The "eliminator" cooler that you have could be described as a "TEC enhanced water cooler". it maintains a liquid state through the whole cycle, it never changes phase.

:wave:

DO NOT USE ICE. It will cool your components well below ambient temperatures, resulting in condensation. Condensation will short and ruin your mobo and probably your cpu as well. don't use ice. You don't even need it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back