Lite-On LTR-24102B can't read disc

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first time on any forum, so please excuse my ignorance on any issues etc.

Am I on the right forum?

My CD-RW Drive (D:) doesn’t seem able to read. The disc stays in the drive for less than 30 seconds, the green light remains on and it is then rejected.

I have looked through the forums and have as a consequence checked that the driver is up to date. I have uninstalled the driver and when the system re-booted it was re-installed. I have bought and used a wet system lens cleaner. None of this seems to make any difference.

It was working 2 days ago, playing audio and burning. The last thing that worked was burning an album from iTunes directly onto the drive. I had previously erased the disc of back up data using Nero, which was also open when I burned using iTunes.

Properties informs me that “the device is working properly” Nero says no disc inserted whilst the green drive light is on before the disc is ejected.

What more can I do? Help!

I would shut down system remove drive ,reboot system then reinstall drive ...if this doesnt work 2 more alternatives to try one is put another drive in let it load drivers for it then shut down removing it then putting back in the lite-on 24102b and load drivers .... I have had several lite-on drives and notice conflicks from nero but new drivers alone didnt fix but swapping out cd rom's then back to the one i wanted fixed it....seems like a lot of work ...but hey it worked for me.

There is no drive for that device.
Optical drives fail frequently, depending on use. The lasers burn out like light bulbs burn out. The drives are powered by either a drive wheel or a belt. One of those could have slipped off.
But if the drive is more than a year old, it is worn out. If it is less than a year old, it is probably at the end of its useful product life due to over use.
You can buy a drive for $18 to $28 online, or $27 to $37 at Wal-Mart, Best Buy, or other such store.
Time to replace the drive as Tmagic650 suggests.

Thanks for all of your advice.

When I have put a disc in, despite the fact that it is ejected it still has turned around. Obviously I don't know whether this is only a quarter turn or tens of turns. Does this still mean I need to replace?

Turning a little or turning a lot isn't significant. Something is wrong with the drive. It doesn't really matter what exactly. Drives fail from time to time and you replace them. A straight replacement CD-RW drive is very inexpensive. Even if you upgrade to a DVD+-RW drive the cost isn't much more.

It has a mechanism to lift the disc out of the tray and turn it to test. That is apart from the laser.
These simple mechanisms do not have a device to test whether the laser is burned out, or if the drive belt has slipped off, or if the drive wheel has worn a flat spot.
The bottom line is, if it does not work, replacing the drive is cheaper and less time consuming that any other choice.
You can take the drive out, turn it upside down, and remove the four screws of the bottom panel, then look inside for a slipped wheel or belt, but there is no way to examine the laser... because to do so would be too dangerous, putting your eyes at risk.

Reboot the computer, before it loads toss in a bootable cd, if it spits that out and or fails to load off the cd your drive is dead. This will allow you to determine whether its a Windows specific problem or a hardware problem.

Wow about 14000 posts between these three support members, I believe david effer is getting the best advice he can get.

Your LiteOn LTR-24102B is very old, and it would not surprise me if it was dead after all these years. And your drive shows classical signs of being dead. But there is a way to see if your OS is messed up or the drive has gone to the great beyond.

All of this information was taken from the link below.

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic99070.html

A drive quick test may be in order here first.

Reboot your computer and enter your computer BIOS. Usually all you have to do is tap the delete key a few times as your motherboard POSTs to enter its’ BIOS. Make sure the first boot device is your optical drive and save the settings and exit your BIOS. Allow the computer to boot and place your Windows reinstall disk into the optical drive and reboot. When the computer boots the second time it should boot into the install disk. If it does your optical drive is probably OK, and the easy way to fix the problem is to reinstall Windows again. If it doesn’t boot into the install disk then your optical drive is probably dead.

At this point the OP said he didn’t have a Windows install disk so:

Go to a friends house and burn a Memtest+ ISO to a disk. It will be bootable and much easier and legal to download. If your optical drive will read disks then the quick test will not be much help to you because you already know it will read a disk. Your friend will have to have a computer with a working CD burner and disk burning software like Nero or you can bring the Nero disk with you and ask him if it’s okay to install the suite while you guys burn the Memtest+ disk. At his house you click the link and download the “Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)” file. Or you can put it on a floppy drive or a flash drive and take it to your friend’s house. Copy and paste the file to your friends desktop. Right-click the ZIP file and choose to “Extract Here” or “Extract Files,” because you can’t use the file while it’s still in its’ ZIP form. Once you extract the ISO all you should have to do is double-click the file and the burning software that is installed on the computer should start up. If the burning software doesn’t automatically start then you’ll either need to manually start your friends burning suite or install Nero. The burning software will automatically set all the burn parameters except for burn speed. You should set the burn speed to low or slow or 4X or 6X or 8X. You don’t want the burner to burn the disk as fast as possible because most CD burners don’t do a good job of burning CDs at high speed. Burn the disk, take it home with you, and test boot it in your computer. If you installed Nero in your friends computer then it would be best if you uninstalled the suite before you leave his house

All these posts for a dead CD drive... New CD/DVD combo drives are cheap and easy to install. One more time, REPLACE THE DRIVE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back