Lithium-ion co-inventor helps develop solid-state battery that is non-combustible, inexpensive...

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Engineers at the Cockrell School of Engineering at The University of Texas at Austin have developed a new type of battery cell that could one day result in faster-charging, longer-lasting and safer batteries for use in a variety of devices.

Led by John Goodenough, the 94-year-old professor and co-inventor of the lithium-ion battery, the team has developed the first all-solid-state battery which is non-combustible, has a long life cycle and is inexpensive to manufacture.

As UT News highlights, the scientists demonstrated that their new battery cells have at least three times the energy density of modern lithium-ion batteries. This means, for example, that batteries used in an electric car would result in a higher driving range (more miles between charges).

Unlike traditional lithium-ion batteries that use liquid electrolytes to transport lithium ions between the anode and cathode, this new battery design relies on glass electrolytes which allows for the use of an alkali-metal anode that doesn’t form dangerous dendrites.

The team is working to further advance their battery technology and have several patents in the works. The ultimate goal is to work with battery makers to develop and test their technique in electric vehicles and energy storage devices like those from Tesla.

While it’s easy to get excited about the prospect of new battery technology, one must remember that this is a song we’ve heard time and again. Advancements in this space are often spoke of but getting a product to market with any sort of meaningful impact has proven elusive in recent memory.

Permalink to story.

Sounds promising but don't expect to see it anytime soon, if ever. I'm sure they could've released something a lot better, a lot longer lasting and just as cost effective as the Li-Ion battery by now but it's just such a lucrative market to suddenly forsake.

Sounds promising but don't expect to see it anytime soon, if ever. I'm sure they could've released something a lot better, a lot longer lasting and just as cost effective as the Li-Ion battery by now but it's just such a lucrative market to suddenly forsake.
You are correct. I am actually Dr. Goodenough's IT support here at UT, and he brought up the news to me last August. It's just now making it into the public realm. Mass production might be a ways off.

Dr. Goodenough sounds almost like a joke name... let's see if it makes into commercial production, sometimes the changes required and costs tend to kill the advancements.

Dr. Goodenough sounds almost like a joke name... let's see if it makes into commercial production, sometimes the changes required and costs tend to kill the advancements.
True enough but the the cost of amortising the R&D, production etc. outlay pays off in spade down the line. Better batteries will come... eventually.

You are correct. I am actually Dr. Goodenough's IT support here at UT, and he brought up the news to me last August. It's just now making it into the public realm. Mass production might be a ways off.
It'll be such a pity that the good doctor probably won't live long enough to see his co-creation make it into mass production, that's assuming it ever does.

Oh come on.. there should be a popup now "congratulations you read the 1 millionth 'Batteries will be better anytime now' article, click here to claim your coupon for a battery that takes 5 millisec to charge and then lasts 2 weeks!!"

In the meantime all we've seen in terms of "better" batteries is LiPo that likes to explode/catch fire and only has a lifetime of 2-3 years before it self destructs.

Grr when are they ACTUALLY going to start implementing any of the "advances" in battery tech thats been published over and over throughout the last 5 years?

He must have one heck of a sense of humor with that last name. XD

Actually there was a great documentary on NOVA a week ago that showed this, but I did not catch why it was not going into immediate production. It is built more like a jelly roll and can be pierced, shot, crushed, etc. and it will not have the same reaction as the standard Lith-Ion currently does. This one does have some improvements on battery load and life. My best guess is that the manufacturers still have re-cooped all their investments on factory and technology and are holding off until they do .... but like I said, that's only a guess.

I feel like newer/better/more efficient battery technology is there but its being 'filtered' or 'withheld' for mainstream purposes to help the larger corporations force users to recycle their phones every few years.
I know I know, that is ridiculous conspiracy nonsense and its probably not true, I just can't help myself from thinking these things.

I feel like newer/better/more efficient battery technology is there but its being 'filtered' or 'withheld' for mainstream purposes to help the larger corporations force users to recycle their phones every few years.
I know I know, that is ridiculous conspiracy nonsense and its probably not true, I just can't help myself from thinking these things.
The highly competitive area of smartphones would almost guarantee that that wont happen. Battery life is the main selling point of phones now-a-days.

Anyway, battery capacity IS increase and you don't even realize it. There are tons of new battery chemistries coming to the market all the time, my latest favorite is LiFePo4 which addresses many of the issues of more common Lithium batteries, like exploding and catching fire.

He must have one heck of a sense of humor with that last name. XD
It doesn't seem to bother him. Neither did the mockery he must've endured for having it. In fact, I think he must be proud of it otherwise he would've legally changed it. What's in a name anyway? ;)

I been working on a battery that is too cheap to ask money for, holds a full weeks charge that it gets from sitting on the counter then plays HD 3D movies with 12 channel stereo constantly. Should be ready by the time this is

Wonderful news. Hope they offer reasonable non-exclusive rights to many manufacturers.

Tesla will jump on this to make their 'wall' really work.

2019?

The highly competitive area of smartphones would almost guarantee that that wont happen. Battery life is the main selling point of phones now-a-days.

Anyway, battery capacity IS increase and you don't even realize it. There are tons of new battery chemistries coming to the market all the time, my latest favorite is LiFePo4 which addresses many of the issues of more common Lithium batteries, like exploding and catching fire.
Are you sure exploding batteries are common? So far I've only seen it with Note 6.

Are you sure exploding batteries are common? So far I've only seen it with Note 6.
It is more common than you might think, you have to damage them by piercing, dropping, banging, etc.
A guy got pretty nasty burns from a vape that's battery exploded in his pocket. It is probably to do with cheap manufacturing processes like the hover boards were.

Wonderful news. Hope they offer reasonable non-exclusive rights to many manufacturers.

Tesla will jump on this to make their 'wall' really work.

2019?
I have been saying that Tesla should jump on something like this for some time, now. The cost to commercialize this might be something that Tesla could easily handle and would pay off big for them - especially if it triples the range of their vehicles as the article implies. I am not so sure that they have enough good sense to do so, or perhaps they have too much cash tied up in that battery factory. The one danger of that, though, would be that they might insist that it be exclusive to them - which, as I see it, would hurt the EV industry.

LiFePo4 sounds impressive. I am a fan of other LiFe batteries such as the Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries. They last about three to four times as long as alkaline batteries, but cost only two and a half times as much. The only drawback is that they are not rechargeable.

LiFePo4 sounds impressive. I am a fan of other LiFe batteries such as the Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries. They last about three to four times as long as alkaline batteries, but cost only two and a half times as much. The only drawback is that they are not rechargeable.
LiFePO4 is rechargeable

"higher driving range (more miles between charges)"

I'm gonna guess that lighter weight would be the real benefit? but whaddoo I know..

more miles per charge been done,
under 2.5 tons / 2000Kg delivered consumer vehicle, not so much.
Fat cannot be motion's friend.
agreed with @EClyde's battery will arrive when this one does, lol

Back