Little frustrated

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just built a new system a week ago with a antec truepower 2.0 550 watt psu, 7900GTX, foxconn 590 sli mobo, am2 4000+ windsor at 2.0 havent over clocked it, 2 gigs of Corsair pc6400 ddr2 800. everythings is cooled fine got 8 fans running in all. sata 320 gb hard drive and I see less performance then my other system which was good but not as good as this one as it had a 7800gt, an amd 939 3700+ at 2.2. an IDE 200 hdd and an asus sli premium with 2 gigs of ram and same psu

Everything on my desktop opens quicker but at the same settings I seem to be getting less fps in css

I wanna think its my processor frequency as its 200 mhz slower than my last one

Would appreciate any help!
thanks!

when you upgrade to something that is only marginally faster - you are going to have to tweak settings to see a real difference. Check the timings on your ram, and also check the actual RAM speed - saw an article on toms about the funky ratio's that can actually run your ram slower depending on the processor you use.

gl
sl33py

timings

sl33py said:
when you upgrade to something that is only marginally faster - you are going to have to tweak settings to see a real difference. Check the timings on your ram, and also check the actual RAM speed - saw an article on toms about the funky ratio's that can actually run your ram slower depending on the processor you use.

gl
sl33py

Yeah, ntune 5.0 sees system ram settings at ddr2800 and the actualy frequency at ddr2 803. but the timings are ****ed up in bios the 4 numbers that looked like they were the timings showed 5-5-5-18 when it should be 4-4-4-12, tried changing them and damn near fried my memory. Im confused

frow - basically to get the correct ram speeds you will need to find the correct ratio for your processor/ram. Likely oc'd to some point to get full ram speed. Not sure why your timings are off, i thought this just affected speed, not timings. But those would definately make a difference and it'd seem slow.

good luck and let us know what fixes it.

sl33py

sl33py said:
frow - basically to get the correct ram speeds you will need to find the correct ratio for your processor/ram. Likely oc'd to some point to get full ram speed. Not sure why your timings are off, i thought this just affected speed, not timings. But those would definately make a difference and it'd seem slow.

good luck and let us know what fixes it.

sl33py

Thanks for the advice man and I wanna overclock the processor. Im just a newb though. I dont wanna use Ntune 5.0 for anything other than monitoring even though its capable of tuning my system. I wanna go through bios. Sorry for being a pain lol but I dont wanna screw anything up.

i can't find the article on the processor ratio's and RAM speeds... I thought it was on Tomshardware or Anandtech, but no dice. Bummer because it would give you an easy reference on which clock to shoot for to get 800mhz RAM speed. Mebbe someone else has a better memory and can find it and post.

good luck frow.

sl33py

Frequency

When I run my ddr2 800 at ddr2 400, it runs better in source because the ratio from cpu:ram is 1:1. Now I just need help overclocking the fsb. Anyone got any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back