Little peace please

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyleman

Hey my family recently got a new computer. I want to keep it quiet because it is quiet...in fact very loud. If I bought a fan would I get a guy at a shop to do it or maybe let my dad try(he put in the soundcard and the extra harddrive on out old comp)..hmm he doesnt wanna screw around with it cus if this one dies..its all we gonna get lol but hees just gonna let it fill up and end up goin slow.
What should I do?
Install some fans?
Overclock it?
Both?
I might convince dad to let me put in another hard drive and then install a fan.. but he stuffed up the old 1 doing that.. I reckon it was just cus it was a 98 lol
If I would I would most prob get the SAMSUNG 80GB 80 IDE Internal Hard Drive SP0802N
My cousin got and he said it was good..and it suits my budget but I dont no what sort of fans to get for my comp..could you also tell me what fans I should get with the help from the report.

Ill paste the Everest log to see what would be best for our setup.
Cheers kyle

SHUTUP COMPUTER >:]

Attachments

• Report.txt
    9.6 KB · Views: 19
Hey I dont quite understand what you are asking. Are you looking to put fans in your computer to make it quiet? or to make it cooler? the Samsung SP0802N is fine. If you wanted a bit more space and a higher rated hard drive you could get a Seagate 300 GB ST3300631ARK Ultra ATA for about $90-$110 bucks. If you are looking for fans to install you could buy the harddrive and fans online at the same time and probably get free shipping. But make sure your computer case has a spot to put the fan and make sure you get the right size.

-Jordan

thanks dude.
I thought that putting a fan in it would cool it AND make it quieter ..:confused:
Well if it doesnt then what does make it quiter?

All fans make noise... adding fans make more noise. The fan on the processors heat sink is the place to start, for making a quieter system. Have a friend or shop install a quieter CPU fan and heat sink. Take out all other fans except one exhaust fan at the back of the computer case, blowing air ouside the case. Look at a fans RPM (Revolutions Per Minute) rating. My systems CPU fan is a Vantec 4800 RPM fan and it is loud. I installed a 2400 RPM fan on a friend's system and you can barely hear it. His system is an AMD Duron like mine.

Zalman makes quiet CPU fans for all processors, but they can be expensive

A note if you're buying fans for a quiet system is to look at the noise it produces. it would normaly have it on the packet with something like ~18dB-28dB. dB = deciBels, a measurement of sound. This is the most important info. lower the number the better, although 18 is ok.

If you wish to keep it relatively quiet, then overclocking is not advisable, since it will add more heat depending on how good your hardware is at coping with more stress. Heat is your enemy. :D

Have a good dusting/maintanance routine to get rid of the dirt buildup on your fans and filters, and make sure you have good airflow and you should have a nice and quiet PC. During and after you start replacing the noisy fans with better ones..

Thanks guys now i know what im looking for :)
I will probably get a computer shop guy to put in a heatsink and a low rpm/db fan at the back :giddy:
Now i just gotta look for prices lol.
Cheers, Kyle

Hey, something that I noticed on your Everest log, is that your Radeon 9600XT is running at low core and RAM speeds. It should be running at 500MHZ core, and 300 (600) MHZ RAM. Yours is running at 418 MHZ core, and 196 MHZ RAM?!?!

yeah you can use a computer casing thing that you can get from any computer store to make the sound quiet.. and yes fans are for cooling but will make it louder, if you want it more quiet dont run so much stuff that will make the fan go crazy on your machine =P

Quiet = Cool (or fans spin slower)
Cool = More fans or better cooling solutions
More fans = Noise.

Wow.. what irony :D
TimeParadoX's right, less CPU grunt is made, less heat generated. Thats why you should look at the specs and the size of the fan if available (big fans, lets say 120mm, move 50% more air around compared to 1 common 80mm fan and less noise as well, but 2x80mm fans take less space and together move alot more air than 1x 120mm) or if the max RPM of a fan is still bugging you and you don't have a simple fan speed controler then a simple tweak in voltages (electronics 101) can also help.

So i'll add one more line to the equation:
More efficient fans = less noise compared to "More fans = Noise"

The game is to achieve the balance between temperature and noise. Not that cool temperatures will mean lots of noise, as its dependant on the situation and environment..

And also like stated above, a new case that provide better cooling and airflow helps to minimise the fans needed, also other little devices you can also use to quieten those noisy bits as well - rubber, spongy stuff (forgot the name), cardboard...

Well i learn something new everyday :stickout:
Yer when i do end up doing this i WILL get it done from the shop :)
Also im not going to get an internal hardrive anymore...
with a 80-120gb external i can get games and songs n stuff off m8s and then just put them straight back onto my computer with ease :grinthumb
O and could someone please explain what wolfram was talking about...if it is a problem..
Thanks heaps again guys

Yes, it is a problem. You have a Radeon 9600XT card, and should work at 500MHZ core, and 300 DDR (600 effective) RAM. Yours is working at lower speeds.

There are other options like a water cooling system which I've experienced as pratically noise-less.

kyleman said:
How can i change it....and is it harming my computer or making it slower or anything?

Well, it's not harming it. It's making it slower. Download a program called Power Strip, run it, and check the "performance profiles". There should be two sliders (don't move them yet). Tell us what speeds Power Strip reports.

KK done.
Engine Clock-418.50 MHz
Memory Clock-195.75 MHz
Both the sliders are 1 1/2 below the yellow.
Is that all you need yo know.
(and i dont want to overclock it or anything i just want it to run to its potential.)

It's running way slower. It should run at 500 MHZ engine, and 300 MHZ memory.
What brand is your card?

Its a ATI Radeon 9600 XT.
If i put it to 500MHz eng and 300MHz memory it will be in the red... wont that overheat my computer?
(The only fans in it are stock)

~EDIT~
Im going to get something like this 3 fan kit. Mainly because it wil cool my computer overall with the way i will point 2 of them, and i will have one pointed straight at My Radeon 9600. (which should help). and my dad will allow it because i dont need to do much. just slide it into the PCI slot :) o and i do have room for it all. --> http://www.xoxide.com/3dedge.html
And also a Cooler to divert the air around the place. --> http://www.xoxide.com/uvslotcooler.html
Maybe this nifty object also. --> http://www.xoxide.com/sunbeam-wherever-pci-rack.html
Lol i will look into it more locally though. Hope thatl help when it happens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back