Lizard Squad's DDoS service hacked, customer details revealed

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Lizard Squad, the hacker group that took down Xbox Live and the PlayStation Network on Christmas Day and then tried to cash in on its fame by selling the distributed denial-of-service service they used in the attacks, has received a dose of its own medicine... by getting hacked.

Online security researcher Brian Krebs claims to have accessed a customer database for LizardStresser, the tool that the hacking collective claims allows you to launch DDoS attacks on any website or internet service of your choice -- he had earlier claimed that the attacks are mostly powered by thousands of hacked home Internet routers.

“A copy of the LizardStresser customer database obtained by KrebsOnSecurity shows that it attracted more than 14,241 registered users, but only a few hundred appear to have funded accounts at the service,” Krebs said in a blog post, adding that paying customers handed over more than $11,000 in bitcoins to the group.

Krebs also noted that all registered usernames and passwords were stored in plain text, which is ironic given that the hacking group had said that the Christmas Day attacks were carried out to demonstrate poor security on Sony's and Microsoft's part.

This is the second major setback for Lizard Squad in a week, after UK’s South East Regional Organized Crime Unit (SEROCU) arrested an 18-year-old last Friday in connection with the Playstation and Xbox attacks. Two other members of the hacking group have also been rounded up by police since the initial attacks.

For those who are not in the know, this is the same group that took the responsibility for Blizzard and PlayStation Network outages last August, saying that the action wouldn't stop until the US ceased attacks on the Islamic State (also known as ISIS or ISIL).

Permalink to story.

So they are just a bunch of Amateurs! Well I am sure Law Enforcement will be taking these kids down in short order. As part of their punishment make sure they are banned from using computers for a minimum of 20 years in addition to any jail time. The worst way to hurt these kids is take their hardware away!

Because they sided with terrorists they can be accused of being terrorists themselves. They will all get a lot of jail time and will forever be monitored for being a potential threat.

Script kiddies trying to act like pro's. Who stores they passwords in a plain text file.

Good story.

So they are just a bunch of Amateurs! Well I am sure Law Enforcement will be taking these kids down in short order. As part of their punishment make sure they are banned from using computers for a minimum of 20 years in addition to any jail time. The worst way to hurt these kids is take their hardware away!

Worst way to hurt them, take away their internet connection.

Who hired these script kiddies to do their ills? I thought a few would be divulged in this article .... but no.

Since there's a terrorism / religious undertone to this, maybe the Brits will hand them over to us for a quick trip to Guantanamo!:D

They should have started their ddos service earlier. Maybe then they could have actually spent the money they obtained by breaking 1000 laws lmfao.

Instead they broke 1000 laws to ddos gamers mostly then tried to make money AFTER the already got governments attentions xD

They're not just script kiddies. They are truly *****s. Smarter criminals actually live it up before they get caught. if they get caught. I guess since they had no lives to the point that they had to ddos gamers there really wouldn't be much for them to do with that money anyways.

Lizard Squad ends their internet fame by being the laughing stock of hackers. Even worse.... that laughing stock of even the other script kiddies

I'm fervently hoping they get sent to prison. Whereupon they will have to change their name to, "the somebody else's b***ch squat".

Because they sided with terrorists they can be accused of being terrorists themselves. They will all get a lot of jail time and will forever be monitored for being a potential threat.
I think the fact they actually acted like terrorists was enough. Did they actually "side with terrorists"?

EDIT: Read the interviews. Not surprising... "siding with ISIS/ISIL" is a load of crap. It was tongue in cheek from a bunch of immature script kiddies and as usual people jump to conclusions.

I think the fact they actually acted like terrorists was enough. Did they actually "side with terrorists"?

EDIT: Read the interviews. Not surprising... "siding with ISIS/ISIL" is a load of crap. It was tongue in cheek from a bunch of immature script kiddies and as usual people jump to conclusions.
That fact remains, if you're caught with your hand in the cookie jar, that's the worst time to reply with a smart remark.

The burden of proof shifts to you to prove, "I wus jes jokin".

Your parents, or law enforcement, can interpret your remarks any way they damned well please. In fact, when you start spouting crap like "you better leave ISIS alone". It shows you have little to no grasp of the gravity of your situation.

So, when you're on the hook for a crime, best to hone up your "remorse patter", instead of continuing to spout disdain for authority. After all, they can let you wait to be bailed out, any damned where they please. AFAIK, there isn't a special holding area for overprotected, overindulged little snot noses. Ya get stuffed right in with the rapists and killers.. If you is 18, you is full growed. Keep that in mind.

Back