Loading games, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maurice

Lately, when trying to load/install games via the CD ROM drive, I am getting all sorts of messages, such as;- "Could not initialiise installation [CRC] or "SET UP. INS file has become corrupted. Unable to load installation instructions Error 704" and in another case, "SETUP is unable to run a program needed to proceed with the installation"
Can anyone tell me what is going on please, they were original disks, not copies. Is it my CD ROM drive at fault? I had a new one fitted by the maufacturer three months ago, as there was a fault, or could it be that it happens because I'm on-line when I'm trying to load/install? In which case, how do IO get off-line to carry this out?

Try disabling you Antivirus software during the install. Many games and apps don't play well with AV software. You may also be getting read errors, which seems more likely in this case, this could be caused by scratched discs, dirty laser lense, etc...

I would suggest cleaning your discs and the CDROM drive, probably be easiest just to buy one of the kits on the market for cleaning the drive.

There could be other causes as well, but those are among the most common.

Could be dirty disc, or dirty laser in your cdrom drive, a cable problem, or a software issue. Basically you are getting errors while reading data from the cd, and somewhere along the chain lies the cause. You'll need to find the problem by eliminating lightly causes, one by one. Try another disc and then another cdrom drive to see if the error still occurs, then move to the ide cables, which you can swap and retest. At some point you'll have your answer. It does sound like its probably another faulty cdrom drive, but do some testing to be certain. Its definitely a disc read error of some kind that you're getting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back