Local area connection error message...a cable is unplugged

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Netgear wgr614 router that is acting strangely. The error message I receive in the sys tray what is in the title of the thread. When the message appears, all 4 port lights are lit up on the router and access to the internet is interupted for a few seconds. This was happening more and more. I have checked the cables etc.
I followed Microsoft's tech article (see below and changed the speed/duplex properties to Force 10 Half Duplex. The problem is starting to come back but not as fast...maybe a half dozen times in an hour as opposed to constantly. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Dan

)http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910389

You have that lovely error message (NOT!) Yeah, it's a tough one to diagnose.

Did you make sure that your Windows Firewall is disabled? Are you using Norton or any other Internet security package that might contain a firewall that could be on by default?

BTW, did you just setup the router or did this happen out of the blue?

This started out of the blue after being set up for 6-7 months. I have McAfee products that come gratis with a subscription to Comcast broadband.

Pull the power to the router for at least 20 seconds and reconnect.

Dust out (vaccuum or blow) the vents.

Could be, make sure you have the latest and correct drivers for it. If you could hunt down a spare from someone to try that would probably be worthwhile.

poertner_1274 said:
Good thought CCT. My router recently gave me trouble as well. All I had to do was let it reset itself by pulling power for a bit. All is fine now.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Would you please take a few moments to read the following. It will help to make your Techspot experience a more pleasurable one.

Techspot FAQ.
A message for all newcomers.
SNGX1275`s A guide to making a good post/thread.
Thanks.

do u not notice that no one else posted u're first noticed post observation that might be because u look for problems thare not problems were there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back