Local Area Connection

By Olskool
Jan 12, 2006
  1. My damn computer (as i'm typing) says in a pop up in the lower right corner Local Area Connection - "A network cable unplugged" for a sec and goes away and it's slowing down my computer ! Whats the cause of this?
  2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

A few things can cause this. They include:
    • Poor connection between your NIC and the cable.
    • Poor connection between the cable and the hub/router/switch/modem.
    • Faulty cable.
    • Faulty NIC.
    • Faulty hub/router/switch/modem.

My suggestion is to make sure its properly pushed in on both ends, and if it continues get another cable.

I have moved this thread from Distributed Computing to Storage and Networking, please post threads in the proper forum in the future.
  3. Olskool

Olskool TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks i changed the cables ,router is new and no probs with that ! What else? I didn't know where "troubleshooting " was and didn't think it would be called storage an networking ! I said i'm a newbie ! :)
  4. Olskool

Olskool TS Rookie Topic Starter

BUMP :evil:
  5. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

You still haven't ruled out a faulty NIC. Might want to play around with the NIC speed/duplex settings too.

Do you have any kind of hogging programs installed? That includes Bulky (TM) firewalls (Symantec), VPN software, packet filtering software, misconfigured P2P software.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.