Locked HDDs on D610 & D620

By GodInFlesh
Oct 4, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi, my name is Jordan. I recently purchased 2 Dell Latitude laptops on eBay. They're D610 and D620. I've been able to bypass the BIOS passwords on each, but not the HDD passwords.

D610: T26T5A2S17K-595B
    D620: XJ10P629234-595B

Can anyone help? I'm not too eager to shell out more cash on HDDs.

Thanks in advance,
    Jordan
  2. magicmanlv1

magicmanlv1 Newcomer, in training

At what point from when you power on the machines do you get promted for this password?
  3. GodInFlesh

GodInFlesh Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

On both, the DELL logo with a white bar and BIOS version loads up, then I'm greeted with a white screen prompting me to enter the HDD passwords. After three failed attempts, it goes to the black DOS post, beeps and tells me that I have no hard drive.

I can boot from CD, but diagnostics can't find the HDD.

Thank you for your help.
  4. magicmanlv1

This sounds like a 3rd party software was used to lock the HDD. IF I am understanding you correctly you are getting past the POST (Initial Startup) and then it tries to load Windows but this password box comesup instead. And if the Dell diagnotics dont see the HDD then it is nota Dell program. Assuming this is not a bios lock, then your problem can be easy to fix or impossible.

When you purchased these machines, were you given a disk that will install windows or any other software. If you were given or if you have a windows disk you can simply format and reinstall in most cases. And that is recomended if you bought your pc from a private owner. If you were not given the disks then your options depend on the circumstances. If you want to chat outside the forums about those details just send me a private message or email me or you can IM me on MSN Messanger. Let me know.

There are many things that can be tried but it will be easier and faster to do if I have more details.
  5. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

Its not 3rd party software that locks the hdd's its dell. I was given a dell lattitude with the exact same problem altho i believe the one i have is also faulty.
  6. GodInFlesh

Right now all I have is my BlackBerry to communicate on. I'm having computer problems all across the board. My desktop needs a new power supply.

Anyway, about the Dells, a black screen with a

blue DELL logo
    www.dell.com
    Latitude D620 Series
    a white loading bar
    BIOS Revision A08

The white bar fills from left to right.

Then a white screen with this:
    Dell Inc.
    www.dell.com

Hard-disk #XJ10P629234-595B, the system Primary HDD, is protected by a password authentication system. You cannot access days on this hard drive without the correct password.

Please type in the hard-drive password
    And press <Enter>.

Thank you again for your help. My email is email removed
    I can be reached via yahoo messenger at the same address. There is a period between exexex and ohohoh.

The same happens with the D610.

I don't have the Dell restore CDs. I do have a XP Pro Install CD from my desktop. (the full install CD was purchased directly from Microsoft.)

I am unable to format the HDDs with the CD. No hard drive is found.

Thank you for your time. Right now all I have for the internet is my BlackBerry and work PCs.
  7. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

The only person I know of that can give you a hard drive password is rustam_

Take a look at this thread HERE.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:
  8. magicmanlv1

Well after reading your details it does sound like a bios lock but if it is asking for a hdd password I am unsertain what is causing this. However, since I am a dell tech, I will speak to someone tomorrow about this and see what I can find out.

Could you provide me with your service tag. That will help.
    I will get back to you after I get some info. If it is a HDD lockout by Dell then I will find out how to unlock it. And if it is not a Dell lockout then I will see what I can dig up.
  9. GodInFlesh

D620
    System = Latitude D620
    BIOS Version = A08 (04/03/2007)
    Service Tag = 1234567
    Asset Tag = (none)
    Ownership Tag = (none)
    None of these fields are changeable.

D610

System = Latitude D610
    BIOS Version = A05 (08/11/2005)
    Service Tag = 1234567
    Asset Tag = (none)
    Ownership Tag = (none)
    None of these fields are changeable.

Both laptops were purchased from the same person. This is how I received them. Shouldn't the service tags be different? Did the seller alter them?

Thanks for your help. I'm using Yahoo Messenger on my BB. I don't think it can communicate with Windows Live.

Sorry, I copied and pasted. The Service Tag for the D610 is GKQLN81.
  10. predator25

predator25 Newcomer, in training Posts: 18

T26T5A2S17K-595B --> 8s1kd1jl
    XJ10P629234-595B --> ay0vjf0i
  11. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

how about removing the HDs and replacing them. Format the old drives as externals.

12. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +19

Nice one predator. Hopefully, that`ll solve GodInFlesh`s problem.

I`d forgot you can do HDD passwords as well. My bad.

Regards Howard :)
  13. GodInFlesh

Thank you predator25. It worked like a charm on both.
    Thank you everyone else for your help and concern.

I wasn't too eager to buy new HDDs. I already tried putting them in external enclosures, but my desktop didn't recognize them.

Quick question: is HDD locking unique to Dells? I haven't seen a locked HDD on any other system.
  14. quasimidi

quasimidi Newcomer, in training

Hi all.

I also bought a Dell D610 from a hungarian e-bay clone site and it seems the HDD is password protected. I can enter into the bios, change settings, but when I turn on the laptop, the bar goes to right, then a white screen comes up asking for password. I'm quite angry, because I spent my money a useless laptop. A friend of mine told me to visit this board, and try to ask for help.

So here is the laptop info:

Dell Latitude D610
    Hard disk: #--45DG4451T-595B
    Service Tag: 2GWHM1J

Thanks in advance!

Q.
  15. jeareason

jeareason Newcomer, in training

i also have the same problem as godinflesh with a d620. I managed to get passed the dell bios after just typeing anything it gives me the option to boot from cd drive, I tried booting a original copy of xp & vista on it but does not find any hdd...when i was first messing around with this i could view the bios which most features are lock, boot from cd drive & run diognostic test but now...when i turn it on after the dell screen loads it goes black & says "invalid configuration information" - "please run setup" & then goes to the dell bios lock....if anyone can offer some advice please please do.
    only tag i can get is
    service tag:#H5LKK2J-595B after typing something here it just turns off..
  16. crommo

crommo Newcomer, in training

Just got a d610, it was admen locked and i did the EEPROM shorting method that i found on Paragons website, via this site.
    I got rid of the admen PW, but now the hard-disk is locked.

the hdd tag is:
    #**55J86515T-595B

any help would be awesome, Thanx

email removed
  17. Mikisan

Mikisan Newcomer, in training

Predator, please help. I've got a password locked HDD off Ebay for a inspiron 600m. The code on the HDD PW screen is AG0402-595B. I really hope I haven't bought a paper weight. Any help at all greatly Appreciated!
  18. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Here's the old phone number for Dell support, that I used
    PH: 1800 060 889 (Dell Notebook Support)
    (You will need proof of purchase & Asset (Sn))

Just state that the laptop was bought legally from Ebay
    Otherwise wait for the master key here , it seems (which is easier anyway)
  19. Mikisan

Mikisan Newcomer, in training

Thanks K. As I was saying the HDD was purchased individually so DELL will prob. not help. Any other suggestions?
  20. kimsland

Oh

Well they are only interested in asset tag anyway

If you own the computer, that should be OK
    Good luck if you try
  21. Melisa J.

Melisa J. Newcomer, in training

I also bought a Dell D620 from a e-bay. Battery down...pay for new battery. I can enter into the bios, change settings. The password is the system password, I can't do anything, can't boot off a floppy or cd-rom, can't enter bios or F2, F8, F12.

Dell Latitude D620
    Service Tag: JPR943J-595B

Can anyone help?
  22. Maurafarah

Maurafarah Newcomer, in training

Hi Godinflesh, i´m very interested in your post because you say you´ve been able to bypass BIOS protection, i have a latitude D620 and i tested lots of things and I haven´t been able to bypass it! Could you please explain me how did you do it?

Lots of thanks
  23. promasterxx

promasterxx Newcomer, in training

How did you bypass BIOS D620?

How did you bypass BIOS D620?
    Did you use any software? or some other way?

Thnx
  24. kimsland

25. twinky08

twinky08 Newcomer, in training

Hello Mr predator25

Please help me with my locked harddisc drive!

#252L2K7WA9B-595B

thank you in advance!
    kim
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.