Status
Not open for further replies.

BrownPaper

do you guys think it is okay to be logged in with admin privaleges all the time with windows xp pro? is it a major security issue for use at home?

i just want to know your opinions on this. thanks.

For use at home probably not. For use anywhere else (or at home if you don't at least have a NAT or something protecting you) very bad :( I have to admit - I still have a bad habit of using Administrator... it is a security issue, no doubt about that. At least I don't use *NIX machines as root.

The difference between an admin and a commoner in Windows is much smaller than on *x systems. And a malicious program can still do a lot of damage running with plain user privileges under Windows.

IMO the gain from a restricted account is not worth the inconvenience of having to switch logins in Windows to administrative tasks (not to mention that switching user accounts is so messy in Windows).

Running a unixoid on a daily basis as root is A Very Bad Idea. You might as well remove all the covers from the wall sockets and switches in your house and rely on your survival skills.

That is very true Nodsu, I personally am logged in as admin all the time. As long as you are smart about it, you have nothing to fear, but if you have the slightest bit of doubt, create yourself another account with less priveledges and all should be well.

I too only log in as Administrator on win2k...
But there are some steps which you can do to make it a bit harder for a hacker to get at it. Change the name of the account, use a lOng_p4Ssw0Rd etc...

If there was the option that is in *nix to run certain apps as root, I'd log in as a regular user, but since it's way too much of a hassle to do it that way.....

I am on as administrator all the time as well. The key to using your computer, in my opinion, is prevention. Preventing the viruses and problems from occuring is better than worrying about users and constantly switching between them. Spend the money and save the effort

Originally posted by MrGaribaldi
If there was the option that is in *nix to run certain apps as root, I'd log in as a regular user, but since it's way too much of a hassle to do it that way.....

Actually there is.

HOW TO: Enable and Use the "Run As" Command When Running Programs in Windows

In Win2K, the ressource kit has a program that goes a little bit further as you do not need a shortcut to run a program as a different user, you just right click the .EXE file & choose Run As. It's a shame it's only available in the ressource kit.

Thanks Didou :)

I knew I had run into it in the past, but couldn't find it now.

Guess I'll give it a go whenever I get around to install the new harddrive. (this one is dying so I won't bother yet)

you can use Tweak UI from Microsoft (freely) to get your machine to automatically log in as a specified user all the time if you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back