log out on Windows XP pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I log on to Windows XP Pro, it says loading profile and then immediately logs me off. I have cleared all viruses, cookies, etc. Any ideas.

Windows XP pro does that to me as well(though I don't have it, i use it sometimes at work) It's completely normal. don't worry. As long as it logs you offyou should be fine

Ohh....

Well, I don't know that much about Win XP pro, but I think its a OS problem. Try reinstalling Windows if u can...

Dee,
go into Control Panel, User Accounts. Select "Change the way users log on or off". Experiment by turning these off and on, and learn about how these options may work for you. I don't log off or on XP Pro myself, but I have configured XP Pro for multiple users

I run winxp prof.. and I'm having this EXACT same problem ( I couldn't even use my pc without a format/reinstall if I didn't have a dual boot ). Winxp prof starts up, I sign in.. it does it's little loading box, then INSANTLY after ( I can't do anything inbetween ) it just does signing out.

Has been driving me up the wall! I'd love any help, as I'm sure Dee would also!

Dee,

Did you try loging on another Admin account and rename your profile. Then try and log on.
After have the Admin account log on after you have and have the Admin drag your Documents, Favorites and Desktop back into your new profile.

CBSHawaii,

I tried that.. using safe mode etc.. the problem happens all around. As I'm sure it does for Dee. As soon as any acct tries to login when it's doing 'loading your personal settings' etc.. the box doesn't even go away, it just stays there and moves right on to logging you out.

If Dee is stuck like me with win Xp prof, he might not be able to even use his pc now unless he has a dual boot. I've got some boot disc goodies I'll be trying over the next day or two, but who knows!

Tmagic650 said:
It sounds more and more like a hardware conflict or failing component

I can boot up, and everything works fine in win98 (an old install I just haven't gotten rid of). I haven't added anything new, or changed anything on the pc for months.

I think I just need to find how to change what windows loads and/or runs on logging it and delete the file if nothing else.. or manage to change it while not in winxp.

I've found a few other posts around the net, but none with anything helpful so if I find a fix here or figure something out at least I can spread the word.

EDIT: Ahh, looks like lots of new stuff about how to fix it today! (did my exact same google search!) Found lots of places that say how to fix it..

quoted from a page..

Enter the Recovery Console

Boot the system using the Windows XP CD-ROM. In the first screen when the Setup begins, read the instructions press "R" (in the first screen) enter the Recovery Console. Type-in the built-in Administrator password to enter the Console. You'll see the prompt reading C:\Windows (Or any other drive-letter where you've installed XP)

Type the following command and press Enter.

CD SYSTEM32
(If that does not work, try CHDIR SYSTEM32)

COPY USERINIT.EXE WSAUPDATER.EXE

Quit Recovery Console by typing EXIT and restart Windows.

You'll be able to login successfully as you've created the wsaupdater.exe file (now, a copy of userinit.exe)

Dee,

Hope this works for you I'm off to try it now (even though my pc doesn't have either of those files!).

"I can boot up, and everything works fine in win98 (an old install I just haven't gotten rid of). I haven't added anything new, or changed anything on the pc for months."

Corrupted file(s)? If so, how did this happen?

"Hope this works for you I'm off to try it now (even though my pc doesn't have either of those files!)."

This may be trouble... Is your copy of XP Pro fully updated and brought up to SP2?
Good luck Dee...

Virus is cause

I am experiencing the same problem. Windows immediately logs off on after I log on. It is related to a virus or rootkit infection in my case. The computer was operating without a firewall, picked up a bad case of virus/spyware/rootkit, and I used an antivirus tool to repair it. After the repair, I lost the ability to Successfully log on to windows. I have not yet figured out how to bypass this lockout.

I have never been successful in reparing XP through the Recovery Console. You really have to make sure your system is clean of viruses before you try to repair XP. Sometimes a low-level format is the only way to go...

when you first load xp
you are asked for a admin password
on login screen hit the alt ctrl delete keys at same time repeatedly
this will give main log screen
enter use (administrator) enter the password you made at the install
should now be able to log in
does sound like a virus
can also try F8 key on boot and do last known good condition
if you learn bout where the profiles ar and can do cmd screen boot to command window only repair manually

same story here

my friend had this problem and I fixed it somehow:confused:
go into safe mode..run the scans and disable any odd start up programs
I wish you luck
heres my story
my friend bought a computer..he was so ignorant he didnt even now his xp pro was not genuine that I had to tell him
he would log in..and the pc would freeze...manual shutdown...I got it running a bit more with diabling things n restarting until one point.. I disabled eveythin :haha: so then we tried logging in and it wouldnt let us
came back one week later, renalbe everything in safe mode.. and logged in without getting logged out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back