Logged out as soon as I'm logged in!!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I've just 'imaged' down a windows advanced server. It boots up fine but as soon as I log on, it sends me straight back to the logon screen!:confused:

All help appreciated..

I think I had this problem as well when restoring from a Windows 2000 server image onto a system that had a new hard drive.

Basically, what you need to do is do a complete, fresh windows 2000 advanced server installation to the target partition.

Then (yes, its true!) restore your image over the top of it.

Your system will then log in just fine.

Must work by writing some sort of signature onto the hard drive's partition table, or something.... I don't know exactly, I just know that that's how I solved the problem.

Another possibility (because I've had this problem after ghosting my machine as well) is that you had it set up with a pagefile on a different drive - and that drive or pagefile doesn't currently exist on the old drive letter. That's another possibility for this problem. I think all of us who play with (use) ghost or Drive Image get ourselves in a similar situation.

What I think happens, in that case LNCPapa, is that windows then tries to make its pagefile on the same drive as the operating systems files are installed to. I am about 90% sure of that.

But I DID need to reinstall a clean windows 2000 server before I could then restore the image to the same partition and use it... who knows why....

This can also occur if the restored OS is on a different drive letter than it was originally installed to. This is correctable, however, through safe mode, if safe mode works. Are there any other messages given, or are you just plain logged out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back