TechSpot

logging onto a server2003 domain using dialup connection

By davids
Aug 17, 2006
  1. Hi,

I am hoping to setup a laptop to log onto a domain using a dialup connecting (actually a 3g card) but im not sure how to go about it, will the domain controller itself need a public ip to make this possible? Or can I setup some sort of port forwarding arrangement to make it work?

2. mikescorpio81

mikescorpio81 TS Rookie Posts: 574

You will need VPN access through their firewall (username/password) or if they are port forwarding 1723 straight to the DC you will need only a local username/password on the Network.

You need to have this sorted before creating a PPTP connection. Dial-up shouldn't be a problem, just a little slower than usual.

1. Obtain username/password for VPN connection
    2. Obtain Public Ip address or host name (mail.whatever.com) for where you are trying to connect to
    3. Create a PPTP connection or install 3rd party application to connect once you are on the internet.

Good luck! :grinthumb

3. davids

davids TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 177

Thanks for the help mikescorpio81.
    I tryed that and managed to get it working! I only run it on a test machine so i dont know what the speed will be like as the plan is to use it to run sage line 50. But I have been told that the vodaphone 3g cards run at about twice the speed of a dial up modem, so Im hoping that will be sufficient.

Thanks for the help

Dave

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.