Login timeout?

kitty500cat

Hey guys,
I was just working on helping a guy, and I had a nice long reply typed out. When I was finally finished, I hit "post reply" or whatever the button is. Unfortunately, in the time I was compiling this, my login had timed out. So instead of posting it, it took me to the page where it says that I'm not logged in. So I lost my nice long reply, and since I was using Firefox, even though I hit the "back" button, it had erased all my work.

So can I change the amount of time I can be logged on while not doing anything? It's really annoying to have all my work erased.

Hi

I never got logged out, at least not that I have noticed, it may be a firefox thing,

If your doing a long post, ( as I learnt a while back) highlight the text and do a CTRL + C then refresh the page, then do a CTRL + V, this is handy as you can see if anyone has added an addendum to the post or a quick reply by another poster, plus if you do get logged out, just copy the txt back in.

Regards

I agree with kitty500cat. It was happening to me to yesterday and it's a damned nuisance - also it's only on this forum. I thought I had the "allow cookies" setting wrong in Internet Options or in my ZA Pro, but the Internet Options privacy was at default setting and my ZA Pro privacy was set to allow all cookies.
I can't remember if I was using FF or IE yesterday but this one is on Firefox, so I'll let you know in a minute if it doesn't post properly.

ok, that's never happened to me, but i feel for u guys, and i think ididmyc600 may be right, just a firefox thing, but u ppl seem to be really smart with computers, and i had to questions, question number 1, do any of u know a good free mmorpg maker, and question number two, if i'm in the wrong forum to ask that question, what forum should i be in for that type of question???

thx--- please help

I think it is 15 minutes. Although I've never had that thing like you described.

I have spent a long time writing a post before, and then submitting it. It still submits like normal, but then it shows no new posts on any of the other forums (expected behavior). Do you have TS set to remember you? Or are you logging in every time you visit?

I didn't have that problem any more after checking the "remember me" box.

gamerguy said:
what forum should i be in for that type of question???
Post this question in the Gaming and Consoles forum.

Happens to me all the time, since I have to search up detailed information to offer.

I write too much, I'll try not to here :D

Another way round it is to open Notepad and construct your post there. Once it suits you, then copy the text and post it.

I do as Brigadoon if I think it might be a long post. However I have used Firefox solely for longer than the time I've been on here.

Just hit the "remember me" box when entering your user/password, that should keep you logged in.

if you hit "back" in FF or whatever and it comes up with a blank text box, try clicking inside the text box and do a ctrl + z (undo).

Sometimes it works, sometimes not... but the copy command is very useful.

Old thread warning....

Anyway, it sure isn't that hard to go ctrl+a, ctrl-c, and then click summit. That way, if anything goes wrong, just go ctrl-v.

Or the other suggestion is to type your reply in word or notepad, and then copy+paste. Word might be better for those extra-long messages, or if you're writing out a guide since if it crashes, you've got auto-save on (hopefully!).

I'm strickly a FF guy and the timeout doesn't occur (also set remember).
Timewarner(the isp) frequently looses connections, so I've gone to the
COPY/PASTE routine and/or to using notepad as a message creation tool
from which I can use google.com to pull references. When completed,
the post is then easily pasted into the reply any number of times until
the submission is actually read.

I use FF, and these days, I must say I can almost say its the only browser I use.

I still encounter the same problem.

IE, Firefox, nor Opera have ever logged me out of TechSpot before. FireFox has many issues with it as well :( . What I have noticed though is that the CMPS reports me not logged in, but the Core Forum does. BTW, what CMPS does TechSpot have :confused: ?

I use Maxthon 2 Beta5 and if i take a long time and if I'm asked to log in, i log in then hit Back twice and my text is there.

Back