Logitech enters home automation space with Harmony Living Home line

Shawn Knight

Staff member

logitech finally harmony remote house

Logitech has officially entered the home automation space. The peripheral company hasn’t created a smart thermostat or Wi-Fi connected light bulb. Instead, they’re aiming to allow users to control the connected devices they already own to create a seamless experience across all home automation equipment.

Home automation has come a long way in a relatively short period of time but with so many different companies and standards jockeying for control, what you ultimately end up with is a fragmented ecosystem. Or in other words, you need a different app to control each aspect of your smart home.

Logitech’s new Harmony Living Home line brings control of all of these devices to a platform that many are already familiar with: the Harmony home entertainment remote. The system uses a central hub, the Harmony Home Hub, to talk to smart devices via RF, IR, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. The $100 hub can be used alone with an Android / iOS app or it can be used in conjunction with one of two new Harmony remotes.

For $150, you can add a button-only remote to the mix (the kit includes the remote and the above mentioned hub). This remote can be used to interact with the hub as well as up to eight entertainment devices just like existing Harmony remotes.

The top-of-the-line package includes the hub and Logitech’s higher-end remote that features a 2.4-inch color touchscreen with gesture controls and additional programmability (it can control up to 15 entertainment devices). Expect to pay $350 for this package.

It’s worth pointing out that the remotes have full access to Logitech’s database of more than 270,000 compatible entertainment devices, just like other Harmony remotes. On the home automation end, Logitech said their system can control 6,000 devices right now but more are being added to the list.

Home automation seems like the perfect fit and the obvious progression for Logitech’s Harmony line. Look for the new line to hit retail later this month.

Permalink to story.

Zwave and prior to that was RF controller on all lights in my house I never use the light switch in years. Already have about 4 Harmony remotes here. All of these controllers can be pretty expensive.

I'm still waiting for affordable wireless, full colour spectrum lightbulbs. The Philips Hue was a closed system, and the LIFX bulbs are USD$129 each! Made for the wealthy, not the average home.

I don't know if they changed it, I now have this latest update on the Harmony hub in my home. Previously it only worked with Philips HUE bulbs, but love the remote for controlling TV, DVR, PS3, Surround sound AMP, remote power socket in my living room. They are great but also expensive considering the "All in One" remotes that can probably provide about 60% of their functionality with simple IR remote programming. The new APP ui it a bit wasteful on space causing you to have to scroll through activities rather than just click one small icon with most of them on one screen.

I got the new update on my Samsung Galaxy S4 and I only have one word to describe it : UGLY.
The previous interface was way better. I agree with Arris abou the waste of space of the new interface. I don't know if I will continue to use the app on my phone. I think I will stick with the remote.

Back