Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn Review: A compact Romer-G mechanical keyboard

Steve

Staff member

While everyone else in the gaming peripheral market was busy ordering shiploads of Cherry MX switches, Logitech went about creating its own: the Romer-G. The first product to carry them, the G910, received positive reviews for the most part, though the main sticking points were the keycaps and the palm rest. Now 11 months later the company is at it again with a compact Romer-G mechanical keyboard it calls the G310 Atlas Dawn.

As the name implies, the G310 Atlas Dawn is a slimmed down version of the G910. Gone are the macro keys along the side and top of the board, as are the media control functions. The number pad has also been given the boot with the ultimate goal of creating a lightweight and compact keyboard that's better suited for travel to LAN events or to fit into smaller gaming spaces.

Almost everything about the G310 is smaller than the G910 but one thing in particular isn't, the price. The G910 originally retailed for $180 but has since dropped to $140 where it is much more competitive. The G310 on the other hand is starting with an MSRP of $180, the same price its bigger brother once sold for. Naturally we are wondering if the G310 is worth paying more for than the G910.

Read the complete review.

That price is insane for a 10 key less keyboard. I hope they realize that the small = more expensive factor doesn't apply to all components of a PC.

Reading this review, not skimming as I often do, and looking at the pics, I don't think I like this keyboard as much as Steve does.
I know looks are subjective but to me this is one hideous looking contraption although I'm sure many will drool all over it.

I agree it really depends. Its not your office keyboard. Its a gaming keyboard.

Looks aside, I use it and love it and did not pay the price he quoted. So stupid...

Less stress on the shoulders during gaming because the mouse is closer by quite a bit.

Looks aside, I use it and love it and did not pay the price he quoted. So stupid...

Less stress on the shoulders during gaming because the mouse is closer by quite a bit.

“Almost everything about the G310 is smaller than the G910 but one thing in particular isn't, the price. The G910 originally retailed for $180 but has since dropped to $140 where it is much more competitive. The G310 on the other hand is starting with an MSRP of $180, the same price its bigger brother once sold for. Naturally we are wondering if the G310 is worth paying more for than the G910.”

There can be a big difference between the MSRP and the sale/retail price. Please understand I wrote this review before the G310 went on sale and was acting on pricing info given to me directly by Logitech.

In fact Logitech’s own web site states an MSRP of $220 right now, obviously it is selling for nothing like that but I don’t have a crystal ball.

Logitech has been getting hammered all over the net for their pricing of the G310 and G910 so it doesn’t surprise me that they adjusted prices last minute.

Even at $125 AUD I stand by my comments, there are much better mechanical keyboards for less than $100 AUD. Clearly the price was just one of the issues I had with this keyboard, if you like the design that’s great.

Example 1;
https://www.mobileciti.com.au/razer-blackwidow-tournament-edition-gaming-keyboard

Example 2;
https://www.mobileciti.com.au/corsair-vengeance-k65-mechanical-gaming-keyboard

“Almost everything about the G310 is smaller than the G910 but one thing in particular isn't, the price. The G910 originally retailed for $180 but has since dropped to $140 where it is much more competitive. The G310 on the other hand is starting with an MSRP of $180, the same price its bigger brother once sold for. Naturally we are wondering if the G310 is worth paying more for than the G910.”

There can be a big difference between the MSRP and the sale/retail price. Please understand I wrote this review before the G310 went on sale and was acting on pricing info given to me directly by Logitech.

In fact Logitech’s own web site states an MSRP of $220 right now, obviously it is selling for nothing like that but I don’t have a crystal ball.

Logitech has been getting hammered all over the net for their pricing of the G310 and G910 so it doesn’t surprise me that they adjusted prices last minute.

Even at $125 AUD I stand by my comments, there are much better mechanical keyboards for less than $100 AUD. Clearly the price was just one of the issues I had with this keyboard, if you like the design that’s great.

Example 1;
https://www.mobileciti.com.au/razer-blackwidow-tournament-edition-gaming-keyboard

Example 2;

It really is a shame too because the G710+ is an awesome keyboard at a great price. I really do think it's time they gave up on the idea of having a 2nd keyboard screen. If your looking at your keyboard, you're not watching the game.

This keyboard definitely needed the rgb lighting at this price to at least have something.

I'm still hoping someone will come out with a keyboard with profile based texture patterns. Imagine keys having different textures based on the game you are playing.

Example 1;

Example 2;

But none of those keyboards you wrote in the links are even backlight. Unless you are saying backlighting isn't a major feature.... then sure.

A real shame about the shortcomings here. I was actually looking forward to trying this keyboard. Romer-G switches feel great (for me), but I also want a TKL board... so this was theoretically an ideal setup.

Considering what it is, it's difficult to wrap my mind around how expensive the G310 is. Smaller design, fewer keys, an unpowered ARX control dock and no USB inputs makes it really difficult to justify the price tag.

Example 1;

Example 2;

But none of those keyboards you wrote in the links are even backlight. Unless you are saying backlighting isn't a major feature.... then sure.

I meant more in respect to the fact that both those keyboards are considerably nicer to use/type on. I prioritize how the keyboard feels for its intended purpose over whether or not it glows.

Back when I was first testing the G310 it was setup on a PC next to the Roccat Ryos MK TKL Pro and I got as many people to try them both as I could, I wanted to make sure I wasn’t the only one that found the G310 horrid.

Without giving my personal thoughts I had more than half a dozen people try both keyboards. Everyone commented that the G310 was awkward and uncomfortable while the Ryos MK TKL Pro was the complete opposite.

Not everyone is going to find the G310 as horrid to use as myself and those that I had test it, but I can safely say that the majority of users won’t like it.

I am still waiting for the G310 to go on sale in the US so that I can update the pricing info in the review. If it comes in at around $100 then yes it is a much better buy but that still doesn’t change the fact that as a keyboard I really didn’t enjoy it.

I just found another written review on the G310, it sounds very much like my experience...
http://www.goldfries.com/hardware-r...tlas-dawn-compact-mechanical-keyboard-review/

The Verdict
Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn Compact Mechanical Keyboard retails at RM 499, which is quite a hefty price tag to pay for a mechanical keyboard that’s not comfortable to use, its only strength would be the Logitech Arx Control software.

I can’t think of a good reason to recommend this keyboard to anyone, there are better priced alternatives from many other brands while more pricey mechanical keyboards often have a lot more to offer.

Back