Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury Review: Ultra Fast FPS Gaming Mouse

Steve

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/867-logitech-g402-hyperion-fury/]https://www.techspot.com/review/867-logitech-g402-hyperion-fury/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

Excellent review Steve. I definitely play a lot of shooters and I'm actually kind of looking for a new mouse since my Logitech G5 just failed me after 7 years of faithful service. At the moment I'm using a SteelSeries Diablo III, which is basically a Diablo III branded Xai or Sensei. It's a good mouse but the G402 or G502 are looking really tempting.

Thanks for the Review! Very detail one at that..

My Question?

I play STO (Star Trek Online) daily, but I use G100s and Logitech Wave Keyboard. My question would be does this G402 offer the keyboard space bar macro, so where as it would simulate using the space on the keyboard. So I press the keyboard space to fire all weapons. Would I would like to do that with mouse button instead.

Thanks for the Review! Very detail one at that..

My Question?

I play STO (Star Trek Online) daily, but I use G100s and Logitech Wave Keyboard. My question would be does this G402 offer the keyboard space bar macro, so where as it would simulate using the space on the keyboard. So I press the keyboard space to fire all weapons. Would I would like to do that with mouse button instead.

You are most welcome. To answer your question 'yes' you can program any button as 'spacebar'. All buttons are fully programmable for either mouse or keyboard commands.

If you're a gamer or just a user who expects a mouse to be where he/she points it don't get these gimmicky laser mice. Buy an optical tracking mouse. Greater accuracy/precision and no acceleration/auto-correction like laser mice. Generally cheaper too.

If you're a gamer or just a user who expects a mouse to be where he/she points it don't get these gimmicky laser mice. Buy an optical tracking mouse. Greater accuracy/precision and no acceleration/auto-correction like laser mice. Generally cheaper too.

I've had no issues with my G500.

How do I dunk lasers in my gf's face?

Looks like a nice mouse, always loved the MX518 until they took them away. Great mouse for the price, this is a bit pricey. When my deathadder dies, or if im feeling like a new one I may consider this though.

Thorough review. Nice job! I find it funny how the mouse doesn't have the gear shift since my $30 Logitech m705 has it haha!

One thing you didn't address... what switches are they using for the mouse buttons? All my last 3 mice (Razer Copperhead, Razer DeathAdder, Logitech G500) had to be replaced because the left click started failing (erratic double clicks, problems with drag and drop, etc). So when I buy a new mouse I need durability.

Well it maybe finally time for me to replace the mouse I got in high school. I have been using my Logitech G5 mouse for so long because it worked and I loved the on the fly changes I can make (Mouse speeds) and the adjustable weights that I never found a reason to change it out. It still works great so I may just hold onto it until it dies...But this mouse is very enticing at 60 bucks.

Required reading for anyone who is about to buy into flashy marketing for poorly designed/barely functional mice

http://www.overclock.net/t/951894/the-truthful-mouse-guide

Bitvar did you take my advice last time when you went mouthing off like a child about the Silverstone case review and actually read this one? The G402 is much more than just a high IPS mouse, also IPS is a different thing all together. How can you call it a poorly designed/barely functional mouse when you have never seen/used it?

You say optical mice are much better, so please give us an example of an optical mouse readers should buy instead of the G402.

You are most welcome. To answer your question 'yes' you can program any button as 'spacebar'. All buttons are fully programmable for either mouse or keyboard commands.

Thanks for your replay to my question! So your saying it would be the same response time as pressing the space bar with no lag in the action? Where as the mouse buttons press in and press out. I had tired this with Logitech M705 didn't work so well on that Logitech Mouse.

Anyway as soon as G402 hits my local Best Buy which should be around 9/5/14 I'll make the purchase. Thanks again!

Well it maybe finally time for me to replace the mouse I got in high school. I have been using my Logitech G5 mouse for so long because it worked and I loved the on the fly changes I can make (Mouse speeds) and the adjustable weights that I never found a reason to change it out. It still works great so I may just hold onto it until it dies...But this mouse is very enticing at 60 bucks.

G100s not a cheap mouse but is offers 2500 DPI Sensor it quick but lacks the macro buttons. I am going to upgrade to the G402 when it's available in September 2014.

Thanks for your replay to my question! So your saying it would be the same response time as pressing the space bar with no lag in the action? Where as the mouse buttons press in and press out. I had tired this with Logitech M705 didn't work so well on that Logitech Mouse.

Anyway as soon as G402 hits my local Best Buy which should be around 9/5/14 I'll make the purchase. Thanks again!

I don't see why the action wouldn't be as fast or faster than the keyboard. I just tried setting a button to perform a key stroke in SC2 and it was instant.

The smooth scroll wheel is enough to make me look elsewhere. My old MX518 had one and it was enough to deter me from buying a mouse with one again.

The smooth scroll wheel is enough to make me look elsewhere. My old MX518 had one and it was enough to deter me from buying a mouse with one again.

It's not a smooth scroll, its a gear scroll.

Update: The wording in the review wasn't very clear so sorry for the confusion, my fault. I have updated the review so it should be easier to follow now.

I don't see why the action wouldn't be as fast or faster than the keyboard. I just tried setting a button to perform a key stroke in SC2 and it was instant.

Good! This is all I needed to know. Thanks for the input. ;)

It's not a smooth scroll, its a gear scroll.

Update: The wording in the review wasn't very clear so sorry for the confusion, my fault. I have updated the review so it should be easier to follow now.
I think you've misunderstood what I was implying here and I apologise.
What I'm saying is the rubber scroll wheel doesn't have indents or is knurled to make it easier to grip with the finger, it's smooth and my finger tends to slip easily on those types of wheels.
I guess I'm not the sticky fingered type:D

Bitvar did you take my advice last time when you went mouthing off like a child about the Silverstone case review and actually read this one? The G402 is much more than just a high IPS mouse, also IPS is a different thing all together. How can you call it a poorly designed/barely functional mouse when you have never seen/used it?

You say optical mice are much better, so please give us an example of an optical mouse readers should buy instead of the G402.

Please read the contents of my link provided (that you quoted by the way) before making a fool of yourself - http://www.overclock.net/t/951894/the-truthful-mouse-guide - and since you didn't post any actual mouse data (like the weight, material used in the mouse feet or the all important model number on the sensor) we can't make any reasonable conclusions to the level of terribleness this laser mouse is capable of.

It is a well sourced article contributed to by gamers and engineers alike. And your Silverstone case PSU mounting is still an issue, regardless of what you incorrectly believe, the ventilation is there to let you know which direction you should mount.

But to attempt to do your job for you (as a reviewer) a little, I'll guess as to which laser sensor is in the actual mouse. We have no way of guessing the "optical hybrid" sensor inside though. Judging by how frequently Logitech reuses old sensors in more expensive "newer" mice, I'd go with the S3095. Considering this mouse is a so-called hybrid, one would expect it switches from optical to laser at about 1600DPI or 2000DPI. Meaning after you increase beyond that threshold you'll start to see a 2-20ms smoothing rate, mouse acceleration, and insane lift height (not to mention sizable jitter on your surface, since laser prefer hard plastic top surfaces and optical prefer cloth mats) - none of which are desirable for anyone in any situation when compared to raw 1:1 tracking by a premium optical sensor.

Of course this is just guesstimation. I don't have the mouse in front of me and a screwdriver and the willingness to inform consumers before they waste money on a potentially crappy product.

Last edited:
Back