Logitech MX Master Wireless Mouse Review: A worthy successor

Steve

Staff member

logitech master wireless mouse review mouse mx master wireless mouse mx master

The original MX Performance was announced back in August of 2009 as Logitech's answer to Microsoft's 'BlueTrack' mouse sensor technology. As such, the MX Performance was the first mouse to feature Logitech's Darkfield laser. Unlike traditional laser sensors, or even BlueTrack, Darkfield was designed to track on pretty much anything and everything, including non-mirrored glass.

The MX Performance replaced the less attractive MX 1100, another cordless mouse that I also owned. For $100 the MX Performance was a pretty good deal back in 2009 considering the rechargeable batteries were included along with Logitech's 'Unifying' USB microreceiver, another new technology at the time.

Now six years later, Logitech believes that it can recapture the magic of its MX Performance with the new 'MX Master', which is aimed at office workers who want a high-end mouse that isn't designed for gaming.

Read the complete review.

Funny that it's not as smooth to slide as your Performance MX. I've always found new mice more frictionless than old worn ones. I've even replaced the feet on my Performance MX and it feels like a new mouse again. Tempted by this but since I use the G602 most of the time at the moment and the Performance MX with my laptop I have no need for a replacement at this time. I do miss the free spinning wheel on the G602 though.

Mice are very personal things and what one person may love another might hate. After owning a MX510 and not liking it very much because of the non textured scroll wheel and browser back/forward buttons being placed too far forward for me I haven't really looked at another Logitech mice seriously again. The thumb scroll wheel is an interesting addition though but once again those skinny, pointy browser buttons look rather dubious all in the name of aesthetics.
Anyway this mouse would be too big for me, I can't use a mouse with my palm laying flat on it, it's very uncomfortable, I much prefer smaller, flatter mice.

Funny that it's not as smooth to slide as your Performance MX. I've always found new mice more frictionless than old worn ones. I've even replaced the feet on my Performance MX and it feels like a new mouse again. Tempted by this but since I use the G602 most of the time at the moment and the Performance MX with my laptop I have no need for a replacement at this time. I do miss the free spinning wheel on the G602 though.

I have found the same thing, I will let you know how it goes over time.

Mice are very personal things and what one person may love another might hate. After owning a MX510 and not liking it very much because of the non textured scroll wheel and browser back/forward buttons being placed too far forward for me I haven't really looked at another Logitech mice seriously again. The thumb scroll wheel is an interesting addition though but once again those skinny, pointy browser buttons look rather dubious all in the name of aesthetics.
Anyway this mouse would be too big for me, I can't use a mouse with my palm laying flat on it, it's very uncomfortable, I much prefer smaller, flatter mice.

Very true. Many are claw grip mouse users, others palm. I'm sort of between the two and find the Logitech mice very comfortable and overall excellent in use. I have work colleges and friends who swear by the old cream coloured Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical from back in 2005ish.

Very true. Many are claw grip mouse users, others palm. I'm sort of between the two and find the Logitech mice very comfortable and overall excellent in use. I have work colleges and friends who swear by the old cream coloured Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical from back in 2005ish.
As I said, mice are very subjective things. What's one man's meat is another's poison. I liked the IntelliMouse 3, I went back to it for a while after abandoning the MX510.
This MX Master looks like a high quality, very competent mouse and although I haven't seen it in the flesh yet I can tell from the pictures we won't get on well.

As I said, mice are very subjective things. What's one man's meat is another's poison. I liked the IntelliMouse 3, I went back to it for a while after abandoning the MX510.
This MX Master looks like a high quality, very competent mouse and although I haven't seen it in the flesh yet I can tell from the pictures we won't get on well.
I think I might have found the Madcatz MMO 7 mouse's flatter profile slightly more comfortable than the G602 if I'm honest with myself. But prefer the overall design and functionality of the G602 hence changing to it. The customization options of the Madcatz mouse were amazing though.

I'm disappointed. I love my Performance MX (had three) but there's one thing wrong with it that the Anywhere MX fixed - rather than switching between freewheel and ratchet scrolling with a dedicated button, the Anywhere gave you that additional button but the switch was made with the mousewheel. Clicking the mousewheel isn't as "nice" as a dedicated button, so it made sense to use it for a less-needed function (swapping between freewheel and ratchet). I would have bought the Master in a snap, if the button on top had been an MMB...

I'm disappointed. I love my Performance MX (had three) but there's one thing wrong with it that the Anywhere MX fixed - rather than switching between freewheel and ratchet scrolling with a dedicated button, the Anywhere gave you that additional button but the switch was made with the mousewheel. Clicking the mousewheel isn't as "nice" as a dedicated button, so it made sense to use it for a less-needed function (swapping between freewheel and ratchet). I would have bought the Master in a snap, if the button on top had been an MMB...
With the "speed-adaptive scroll wheel" as they call it, you should not have to change the scrolling mode on the fly manually, while freeing up the scroll click button. If it is the same as other implementations, a slow, short scroll will ratchet, but if you flick the wheel it will decouple and spin freely. I think the point of the dedicated button for the MX Master is to lock it in one or the other scrolling modes, but I'm not 100% sure. @Steve ?

The top button can be changed via the software to do anything.

I bought one yesterday to replace my Performance MX mouse and I love it! Super comfortable and you can customize every button on it. I agree that the device selection button would have been better on the top of the mouse though.

Love my Performance MX mouse, except for the fact that the battery charge only lasts about two days at most. I've tried several diff rechargeables, including replacing the stock Enerloop, to no avail. The review says the battery should last a month. I wish!

I should add, I have the Anywhere Mouse MX too, for travel, and have no charging issues with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I'm going to have to find a Brick and Mortar store that has one of these to feel out... though from what it sounds it'll be just as good as my Performance MX.

As for chiming in on the battery life for the Performance MX, I get anywhere from a week to just north of two weeks depending on usage; I use Eneloop batteries for any peripheral that will take them.

Well, the fact that I'm happily still using a Performance MX mouse I bought in 2010 with no regrets is a good omen for this new device - for someone who doesn't already have a working Performance MX.

But I don't think I'm sold on it as an upgrade. Certainly a likely replacement if my current one breaks though.

Changing the direction of the thumb wheel and moving the side scroll buttons from above to behind the wheel is an RSI nightmare. Why wasn't that mentioned in the review?

This change alone makes it a product rating of FAIL. 3/10.

As with most Logitech products, the older models are superior.

Does it have that fake rubber coating that peels off? I'm still waiting for them to come out with the update to the MX Revolution. Now that's a mouse.

Does it have that fake rubber coating that peels off? I'm still waiting for them to come out with the update to the MX Revolution. Now that's a mouse.

I had wondered that, it is hard to say without using it for an extended period of time or intentionally damaging it which probably wouldn’t give an accurate result.

Changing the direction of the thumb wheel and moving the side scroll buttons from above to behind the wheel is an RSI nightmare. Why wasn't that mentioned in the review?

This change alone makes it a product rating of FAIL. 3/10.

As with most Logitech products, the older models are superior.

Is it? My thumb seems happy enough with the movement, it’s not like you are doing it all day. “Why wasn’t it mentioned in the review?” It was, didn’t you read the mouse is super comfy and owners are reporting the same.

I love how you can give a product a 3/10 based on a ridiculously stupid justification.

Perhaps even more foolhardy is the fact that you are scoring a product that you have likely never seen or touched in the flesh and you obviously haven’t used it. Taking that into account I am sure you have all the info and user experience needed to give your score let alone opinion.

Well, the fact that I'm happily still using a Performance MX mouse I bought in 2010 with no regrets is a good omen for this new device - for someone who doesn't already have a working Performance MX.

But I don't think I'm sold on it as an upgrade. Certainly a likely replacement if my current one breaks though.

I agree, the MX Performance was great and the MX Master is even better.

I'm looking forward to trying this mouse and replacing my MX Performances with it. I've burned through over a dozen MX Performance Mice since they were introduced and love them, despite a couple of issues. For me, on every single MX Perf that I've owned:

1) Left-click button dies after roughly a year - My MX's rack up a lot of mileage, but many others on the Logi forums have this issue. Logitech has been good about honoring the 3 year warranty on them, but maybe that's one of the reasons they lowered the Master's warranty to one year? I'd hate to be SOL with a dead mouse button after a year on a premium $100 mouse.

2) I've never gotten more than 3-4 days on a charge of the battery, on any of the MX's I've owned, though Logi claims the 30 day charge life. This is another common issue reported on the Logi forums. Hopefully, the new battery system in the Master will have corrected this.

Another thing that concerns me about the Master is the placement of the side Back/Forward buttons, which seem a little too far back for easy thumb use if you have a larger sized hand. Looking at the Logitech's site for the Master, notice that they use only images of smaller female hands on the mouse. A larger man's hand might have exposed the thumb placement issue more prominently.

With the MX Performance, for me, the forward button is perfectly placed for my thumb to hit. But the back button requires me to slide my hand back on the mouse a bit to reposition my thumb and hit it. On the Master, it looks like both buttons now occupy the same position as the back button on the MX Perf. Putting both there on the Master would definitely be an issue for me. In my case, a vice-versa of the scroll wheel and buttons would have been perfect, placing both buttons directly in-line with my thumb end.

Oh well…I’ll give it a feel when they hit the stores. Hopefully, this mouse is a homerun because it seems really sweet from all the reading I've done about it. And it looks just beautiful...much more modern looking than the MX Perf, which is looking dated now.

I'm looking forward to trying this mouse and replacing my MX Performances with it. I've burned through over a dozen MX Performance Mice since they were introduced and love them, despite a couple of issues.
Geez, what do you do to them (1200 dollars on mice since 2009, $240 a year, hope they were all replacements under warranty!!!)? I've had 2 MX Performance mice. Don't think I've ever had a mouse button die(been using Logitech devices for a long time now), did have recharge problems with the Revolution and Logi replaced it pretty swiftly. I played WoW for around 7 years, including guild raiding and such which is a lot of use of the mouse. And I think both of them are still going strong(one is at the back of a drawer). Looks a little worn here and there but no mechanical or electronic issues.

My sweat has eaten through some of the rubber grip and the feet wore down. Replacing feet made it glide like a new mouse but the grip wearing down seems to be something they tried to deal with in the G602 design. It's a slightly textured/rough plastic rather than rubber. Not sure about the multifaceted grip on the MX Master. Looks like it might be susceptible to the same sweat/degradation/wear.

Batteries never last as advertised, but then they usually specify "average use" which is probably 0.5-1 hour a day, not the hours of abuse us gamers give them :)

Last edited:
Hey Arris...I don't do anything abusive to my MX Perfs. I even clean their pads daily to keep their movements silky on a SteelSeries steel mousepad. I do development work and other stuff, but no gaming. Spend a lot of time on the computers is all. But with consistency, the left-click button will die in about a year +/-.

The battery life issue is understood, but they shouldn't claim 30 days when real world usage is significantly less. If "average use" is an hour a day and you turn off the mouse every time you're done with the computer, it's a not realistic reflection of usage. If they said a 3-5 day charge under realistic conditions, then I'd have no problem.

Hey Arris...I don't do anything abusive to my MX Perfs. I even clean their pads daily to keep their movements silky on a SteelSeries steel mousepad. I do development work and other stuff, but no gaming. Spend a lot of time on the computers is all. But with consistency, the left-click button will die in about a year +/-.

The battery life issue is understood, but they shouldn't claim 30 days when real world usage is significantly less. If "average use" is an hour a day and you turn off the mouse every time you're done with the computer, it's a not realistic reflection of usage. If they said a 3-5 day charge under realistic conditions, then I'd have no problem.
I didn't really expect you to do anything abusive to them, just can't understand it given my experience. I've still got mines from April 2010(Edit: Updated, checked my purchase history). I game, do software development and photo editing on computer. So mines has seen some serious action as well. Although I had one on my desktop and one that I keep in my laptop bag, so maybe the split use between them has helped keep them alive longer.

It could well come down to things like environment. In Scotland we're usually in heated buildings, but if you, for example, were in air conditioned or humid environments then it could have some detrimental effect on the longevity of the mice. Who knows! I'm just surprised that you'd gone through so many. Generally the ones that mass up more clicks are gamers who are clicking away like maniacs when playing some titles :)

Still, I'm impressed you've stuck by it even though you've been through so many of them.

Awesome mouse, but I cannot justify paying $100 for one... @Steve do you think the productivity benefits and longevity of the mouse are enough to justify the price-tag?

I'm looking forward to trying this mouse and replacing my MX Performances with it. I've burned through over a dozen MX Performance Mice since they were introduced and love them, despite a couple of issues. For me, on every single MX Perf that I've owned:

1) Left-click button dies after roughly a year - My MX's rack up a lot of mileage, but many others on the Logi forums have this issue. Logitech has been good about honoring the 3 year warranty on them, but maybe that's one of the reasons they lowered the Master's warranty to one year? I'd hate to be SOL with a dead mouse button after a year on a premium $100 mouse.

2) I've never gotten more than 3-4 days on a charge of the battery, on any of the MX's I've owned, though Logi claims the 30 day charge life. This is another common issue reported on the Logi forums. Hopefully, the new battery system in the Master will have corrected this.

Another thing that concerns me about the Master is the placement of the side Back/Forward buttons, which seem a little too far back for easy thumb use if you have a larger sized hand. Looking at the Logitech's site for the Master, notice that they use only images of smaller female hands on the mouse. A larger man's hand might have exposed the thumb placement issue more prominently.

With the MX Performance, for me, the forward button is perfectly placed for my thumb to hit. But the back button requires me to slide my hand back on the mouse a bit to reposition my thumb and hit it. On the Master, it looks like both buttons now occupy the same position as the back button on the MX Perf. Putting both there on the Master would definitely be an issue for me. In my case, a vice-versa of the scroll wheel and buttons would have been perfect, placing both buttons directly in-line with my thumb end.

Oh well…I’ll give it a feel when they hit the stores. Hopefully, this mouse is a homerun because it seems really sweet from all the reading I've done about it. And it looks just beautiful...much more modern looking than the MX Perf, which is looking dated now.

Wow like Arris I can’t understand what you are doing to the MX Performance mice to burn though them so fast, it can’t just be down to heavy use. I have only owned two since they came out and the buttons on the first one never died, after a few years the sensor started to play up. The second one lasted longer than the first, well it’s still going.

There would be few people that spend more time working at their PC than I do so usage can’t be the problem. Not to mention back in the early MX Performance days when I was younger much of my free time was spent playing games which I find are considerably more demanding on my mouse than any productivity work.

I know if I were replacing a mouse once a year I would give it a second chance and that’s it. I find it totally unacceptable for a mouse to only last 12 years regardless of workload.

As for the battery a few people are reporting the same but mine never fell short of a few weeks in either model. The same is true to the G700s which also lasted at least a few weeks. The MX Master is still on its original charge so it will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

Awesome mouse, but I cannot justify paying $100 for one... @Steve do you think the productivity benefits and longevity of the mouse are enough to justify the price-tag?

Are you messing with me ;)

I gave it a score of 95 and....

"The MX Master will sell for $100, the same price as the MX Performance all those years ago. That seems like a fair price given that the MX Master works as well as its predecessor while offering some updates. Its improved build quality, new features and all around better looking design make the MX Master a worthy successor."

Pros: Beautifully refined design, extremely comfortable, advanced features, clean software, well priced for a premium product.

I didn't really expect you to do anything abusive to them, just can't understand it given my experience. I've still got mines from April 2010(Edit: Updated, checked my purchase history). I game, do software development and photo editing on computer. So mines has seen some serious action as well. Although I had one on my desktop and one that I keep in my laptop bag, so maybe the split use between them has helped keep them alive longer.

It could well come down to things like environment. In Scotland we're usually in heated buildings, but if you, for example, were in air conditioned or humid environments then it could have some detrimental effect on the longevity of the mice. Who knows! I'm just surprised that you'd gone through so many. Generally the ones that mass up more clicks are gamers who are clicking away like maniacs when playing some titles :)

Still, I'm impressed you've stuck by it even though you've been through so many of them.

I'm surprised too by their life expectancy with me. It sounds like you and I do similar work (coding & graphics), except for the gaming. I stuck with the MX Perf because it's just a great mouse overall, nice & big for palm mousing, just the right buttons, and it always makes other mice look like wimps...LOL. And the warranty...if it weren't for the 3 year warranty that many of them were replaced under, I would have found a new mouse.

Back